flash juruense catfish

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
That's what I call an authoritative answer from an aficionado-turned-scientist... watered down just enough for us laymen to have a chance of grasping. Speaking of myself of course in the first place. No offense to anyone else.
You are both far more intelligent and edjakatid than I will ever be! Still though, thank you for the kind words my friend :)

Re: Chicxulub's post, it is certainly possible that the yellow observed in so many jurs is a stress response. But in other catfish, like blues and channels, I always understood color to be associated with light exposure as a function of depth and turbidity. Deeper fish from muddier water tend to be pale, while fish in clearer water or shallow water (i.e. during spawning) get darker coloration. Fish living in tanks are basically getting vastly more light exposure than they would in the wild, so as you'd expect, they get darker colors.
Your postulations correlate directly with my observations. Well done sir, thank you for the input!

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
The pattern may be genetics & environmental influence. Both from lfs

10"
View attachment 1357423

16"
View attachment 1357424
Nice fish! They're a mosaic and a vertical. They're also excellent examples of the principles laid out above. And fwiw, I agree completely that it is genetic.

One can see the lighter spots in the dark areas of the vertical (the larger fish) starting to lighten up in the center of the spots. This will fade out into U shaped patterns down the side. This fish is curious because it looks like an intergrade between a vertical and diagonal, but that may just be from the refraction of the glass. It makes sense that shich examples would exist, but I've never seen one before.

The mosaic (the smaller fish) is still a bit too small to fade. It's going to be really nice once it fades out.

I'd buy that mosaic in a heartbeat.

GiantFishKeeper101

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2017
Hold your heartbeat, there're more exotic

Unknown keeper
Screenshot_20190131_020327.jpg

Taiwan keeper
IMG_20190131_020845.jpg

Taiwan keeper, collection source Rio Negro. Black water have effects on the pattern, thicker dark bars
FB_IMG_1548871806578.jpg

*edit!

Albinos, 1st picture are unknown, 2nd picture died in transport to exporter's hand FB_IMG_1548686887536.jpg FB_IMG_1547768577910.jpg

Last edited:

GiantFishKeeper101

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2017
Another odd one...not my fish nor my photo. View attachment 1357475
Nice specimen. Probably end up being like post #14: picture 2.

Y'all don't want to know the kind of money I'd throw at this fish :lol2:
Every exotic looking catfish are exported to Peru then exported to Taiwan mostly. Most exotic asian orders allover through Taiwan. That's why, you always sees chinese with rare stuff lol. Example, there's 2 albino B. vaillantii that I knew existed. One in Japan's exibition, IDK if it still alive or not, no photos be found after export from Peru. 2nd one is in Taiwan, still no any update on it.

Reactions: Chicxulub

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Nice specimen. Probably end up being like post #14: picture 2.

Every exotic looking catfish are exported to Peru then exported to Taiwan mostly. Most exotic asian orders allover through Taiwan. That's why, you always sees chinese with rare stuff lol. Example, there's 2 albino B. vaillantii that I knew existed. One in Japan's exibition, IDK if it still alive or not, no photos be found after export from Peru. 2nd one is in Taiwan, still no any update on it.
Sounds like I might need to throw a fat stack of cash in Wes' general direction...

Here is some sort of color morph juruense pic found onlineView attachment 1357505
Albino. Very nice!

Reactions: Matteus

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store