Coral catshark won't eat

ayrton66

Gambusia
Jul 11, 2013
Milan Italy
Hi I've bought an adult coral catshark last week but she didn't eat from then. I've tried to feed with a stick silversides, squid and shrims but she doesn"t want to eat. Now she is in a quarantine tank and I tried to feed her in the night when she should be more active. I need your help because I don't know what I can do. Any input will be appreciate. Thanks Lorenzo

sharktank1967

Feeder Fish
May 23, 2017
Try krill and if that doesn't work try squid again but small pieces like chopped tentacles. If that doesn't work try cleaned squid or krill after garlic soak. Also make sure Nitrates are not too high, I have heard that can affect appetite.
Good luck

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Yes agree with S sharktank1967 please test your water parameters. Make sure all parameters are stable.

Aquadog

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2009
CA
I would go to the local supermarket and bait shop and get a small variety of food to try. I have fed mine, salmon, rock cod, tuna, yellow tail, scallops, shrimp, tilapia, squid, silversides, sardines, anchovies and large krill, even nori mixed in with food. I have found they will eat just about anything if hungry. Including fingers ( no serious injuries).

Of all, the things that get mine is a frenzy are sardines, squid and shrimp. If the pieces are too big, they will prob get discouraged and give up.

I agree with params. Do a water change if nitrates are high. Also make sure your temp is around 78-80. I found any colder, it does impact their movements and appetites.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I may get flamed for this but it worked for me when had stubborn sharks that didn't want to eat;live nightcrawlers...none of my young sharks could resist them,drop a few in at night when the lights are off and see what is left in the morning.
Post a photo or two of your shark if you can.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I may get flamed for this but it worked for me when had stubborn sharks that didn't want to eat;live nightcrawlers...none of my young sharks could resist them,drop a few in at night when the lights are off and see what is left in the morning.
Post a photo or two of your shark if you can.

I personally don't see anything wrong with that. I fed my Marbled Catsharks feeder Goldfish that was worse . You are trying to help getting the pup to eat.

Reactions: Aquadog

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I personally don't see anything wrong with that. I fed my Marbled Catsharks feeder Goldfish that was worse . You are trying to help getting the pup to eat.
Right.I recall going back and forth with someone on here a few years ago when I mentioned that I used nightcrawlers....they would have hit the ceiling over your goldfish lol.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Right.I recall going back and forth with someone on here a few years ago when I mentioned that I used nightcrawlers....they would have hit the ceiling over your goldfish lol.
Didn't have the internet and most lfs were feeding goldfish to all predatory fish species.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Didn't have the internet and most lfs were feeding goldfish to all predatory fish species.
Yep I remember those days....quite a few shops around here had nurse sharks that they'd handfeed goldfish to as an attraction.

Aquadog

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2009
CA
Honestly, night crawlers wouldn't be a bad idea. You could order some .19 grams Mazuri Shark/Ray vitamins. These are small enough that you could slip into the body of the worm and make them more nutritional for the shark.

I think once you trigger it to eat though you could slip it another kind of food. Thats what I do with Catshark Pups to get them eating.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store