Jag or Freddy pair

Crazy 8

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 13, 2018
Merica
Thinking about growing out some jags or some Freddy’s for a breeding pair, what’s your guys thoughts on this, tank sizes (I know bigger is better) ease of breeding, and what do you think is more interesting as a pair? Thanks in advance.

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
Jags without a doubt but you'll need a 180+.

Freddies aren't too far of a drop off though if you want something smaller. If iI was going that route though id grab some red tiger motas just because I like the colors better.

Reactions: Cichlids-r-beasts

Crazy 8

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 13, 2018
Merica
Jags without a doubt but you'll need a 180+.

Freddies aren't too far of a drop off though if you want something smaller. If iI was going that route though id grab some red tiger motas just because I like the colors better.
180 was my guess for the jags, how about the red tiger motas?

Cichlids-r-beasts

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2017
180 was my guess for the jags, how about the red tiger motas?
I’d go for the red tiger motas if I were you, imo they’re the most beautiful of the parachromis family, although you’d have your hands full with a pair since they’re highly aggressive.

Kvandy

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2018
Roseville, MI
I have a pair of jags and I love them the only down side is I have to divide the tank 99% of the time. Jag love is brutal

Kvandy

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2018
Roseville, MI
What size is the tank?
90 gallon by themselves, they are only 6-7 inches and are on their 2nd spawn. The female is the aggressor while there's been eggs or fry and in-between spawns the male constantly bites her sides. I pulled some convicts,salvini and catfish from other tanks and added them to see if it would help and it didn't, they are fine with other fish just hard on each other. What's the point if one of your fish looks ragged all the time . I think it's better if you get a male thats significantly bigger than the female that way you can give her hiding spots that he can't fit into. But my pair is about the same size so it's not going to work at the moment

maxstillen

Dovii
MFK Member
May 10, 2007
Denver, CO
I'd go jags. Beautiful when full grown. But yeah make sure you have a large enough tank to house him or depending on if you planning to have a pair you want to go larger. 150g to 180g would be a good start.

HybridFinatic

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2018
Virginia
Thinking about growing out some jags or some Freddy’s for a breeding pair, what’s your guys thoughts on this, tank sizes (I know bigger is better) ease of breeding, and what do you think is more interesting as a pair? Thanks in advance.
If I were you, without a doubt I would go with Freddie’s. Jags are an amazing fish but way overkept. It would be interesting to see a group of true bumble bee Freddie’s “Pantanos de Centla” from COTA grown out. I don’t know anyone on this site who have a thread on them yet and they would look awesome. Very rare fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store