Anyone keep RES turtle's with their cichlids?

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
I'll share my info, plus those of my friends.

At one point I had a grow out with a young common snapper,green sunfish, and a crayfish, I had to keep a ton of dithers to keep everyone happy, plus it was temporary (about a year?)

I've also kept res and a softshell, my softshell preferred to slurp his victims and leave the heads behind, so given this info I'd be weary of putting them with fish small enough to slurp up.

With res giving room to them makes it less likely to chase fish, as the fish can outswim them given space,a fair amount of RES won't touch a live fish regardless

Mitchell The Monster

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 5, 2016
Georgia
I've kept a bunch of turtles and I've kept %99 of them with fish. Most of them were yellow bellies and they do okay, when young none of mine ate any of my fish but when around 4-6 inches they would start snatching convicts and other small fish then I would rehome to my grandpa's koi pond. My most recent one before I moved was kept with my female dovii(my profile pic) and whenever she would lay eggs she would push the turtle around. My cousin that most recent turtle right now in a 60 gallon during the winter and in a rubbermaid tub pond outside during the summer.

Reactions: Irecruitfish

Irecruitfish

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2016
Chicago area
I'll share my info, plus those of my friends.

At one point I had a grow out with a young common snapper,green sunfish, and a crayfish, I had to keep a ton of dithers to keep everyone happy, plus it was temporary (about a year?)

I've also kept res and a softshell, my softshell preferred to slurp his victims and leave the heads behind, so given this info I'd be weary of putting them with fish small enough to slurp up.

With res giving room to them makes it less likely to chase fish, as the fish can outswim them given space,a fair amount of RES won't touch a live fish regardless
Thanks for the share...def will have larger fish in the tank. Although the RES is with two Columbian Tetras and I guess they are you fast for it.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Irecruitfish

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2016
Chicago area
I've kept a bunch of turtles and I've kept %99 of them with fish. Most of them were yellow bellies and they do okay, when young none of mine ate any of my fish but when around 4-6 inches they would start snatching convicts and other small fish then I would rehome to my grandpa's koi pond. My most recent one before I moved was kept with my female dovii(my profile pic) and whenever she would lay eggs she would push the turtle around. My cousin that most recent turtle right now in a 60 gallon during the winter and in a rubbermaid tub pond outside during the summer.
Exactly what I was looking for. I may get rid of the Umbee and put a male dovii with the turtle. How big was your dovii when it was with your turtle?

Mitchell The Monster

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 5, 2016
Georgia
Raised them together pretty much, from 1 inch to 8 or so. But be careful as really young turtles have brittle bones and an over sized dovii could break a leg. Not too much of a risk but still worth putting out there. I will dig up my old iphone and post you some pictures just give me some time so I can find it.
Just make sure to have proper basking area and place for the RES to get out of the water. I fed my dovii mostly sinking foods while the turtle ate floating pellets and veggies. That isn't how it always works out obviously because they eat whatever they want but helps to get them eating the proper foods.
If you have anymore questions please ask.

Irecruitfish

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2016
Chicago area
Raised them together pretty much, from 1 inch to 8 or so. But be careful as really young turtles have brittle bones and an over sized dovii could break a leg. Not too much of a risk but still worth putting out there. I will dig up my old iphone and post you some pictures just give me some time so I can find it.
Just make sure to have proper basking area and place for the RES to get out of the water. I fed my dovii mostly sinking foods while the turtle ate floating pellets and veggies. That isn't how it always works out obviously because they eat whatever they want but helps to get them eating the proper foods.
If you have anymore questions please ask.
Sure if you come across any of the old pics would love to see them as long as its not a big deal for you. The dovii I have is about 6 inches so it will be fine for the short term but I can totally see the dovii going after any and all good like a mad man.

Mitchell The Monster

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 5, 2016
Georgia
It did for awhile, once the turtle reaches around 4-6+ inches,she was too heavy for the doc and it would sink into the water some and could never get completely dry. Then I upgraded to an above tank basking area with UVB bulbs and all the goodies.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store