2 different pike species together in a 125?

Swifterz

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2010
Lexington, KY
long story short, i bought a 12" atabapo pike a while back and it just died mysteriously. i suspect it may have stressed out and slammed against the glass, but i was crushed to lose this fish.

fast forward to now, i was just just about to buy a lenticulata pike about 6" but now there is another red pike available at 7", which i want more hypothetically, but he's saying it's a "red face bocon". i'm not familiar with that type, and can't really find anything online about it. is it the same?

could i have both? i know lents are generally thought of as more aggressive than reds. would they fight and/or kill one another?

are atabapo and tapajos, or "red face bocon" pike the same species?

thanks.

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Atabapo and Tapajos are 2 distinct pikes with no distinct species designation just a catch location so far. They even look different.

Only get one, either the lent or atabapo if you don't want buyer's remorse.

Post a pike of the bocon

Reactions: tlindsey

Swifterz

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2010
Lexington, KY
Atabapo and Tapajos are 2 distinct pikes with no species designation just a catch location. They even look different.

Only get one, either the lent or atabapo if you don't want buyer's remorse.

Post a pike of the bocon
just got sent these. keep in mind it was released from shipment like 1 minute prior to this pic being taken, so color is all washed out, or is that just it's color?

i know the pic is blurry, but can it be ID'd?

Swifterz

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2010
Lexington, KY
Looks like a young female Atabapo 1. Need a better tail shot. How long is she?

For reference, here's a picture of very young Atabapo 1 in sub-adult colors. Notice the size of the tail spot, and lack of yellow outline on the tail spot.

http://www.petzonesd.com/red-pike-cichlid/
about 7". should it be more red at that size? is it just not red because it was just released from the bag?

ex. this video: https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...517C2E1DE65AAF3E9449517C2E1DE65A&&FORM=VRDGAR

they aren't red at all. they look the color of the fish in my pic.

i'm just trying to make the right decision. i want a red pike, one that is going to be brightly colored. otherwise i would just get the lent.

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
about 7". should it be more red at that size? is it just not red because it was just released from the bag?

ex. this video: https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...517C2E1DE65AAF3E9449517C2E1DE65A&&FORM=VRDGAR

they aren't red at all. they look the color of the fish in my pic.

i'm just trying to make the right decision. i want a red pike, one that is going to be brightly colored. otherwise i would just get the lent.
If it's a male, the red won't come in until later at a longer size. The females look a light pink at 6". As sub-adults, they will not be the full red body until much larger like around 10-12". Tannins and being fed at least a couple of times a week will affect what color they appear.

The video link is Crencichla lugubris sp. Venezuela or Venezuelan pikes for short.

Swifterz

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2010
Lexington, KY
If it's a male, the red won't come in until later at a longer size. The females look a light pink at 6". As sub-adults, they will not be the full red body until much larger like around 10-12". Tannins and being fed at least a couple of times a week will affect what color they appear.

The video link is Crencichla lugubris sp. Venezuela or Venezuelan pikes for short.
as long as that pike is going to turn red, i'd probably lean towards it. it is $85 for 7". the lent is $70 for $6. do you think the lent is the more aggressive species?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store