Just a few updates pics and videos.

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
Most monster fish tanks have no plants or scape, just a few ugly flower pots. The OP always has plants and scape, just check out his historical setups in the East Coast. I don't know how he can manage protecting the plants from the fish, as I am struggling with mine.
The OP may have better ideas, having succeeded already in different setups but in my opinion in monster tanks one can concentrate on keeping only emersed plants. I pot mine in hanging plastic baskets, drilled with holes for water exchange and filled with clay pebbles. So generally the roots are protected and unless fish can fly, they can't get to them. My filters' flow is normally aimed at passing above the baskets surface.

Here are the ones above my indoor pond.1363408

My planters are plastic black baskets with a hanger but I am sure there are all types of options suitable for glass tanks too.
Emersed plants are extremely efficient at maintaining water quality and give that extra level of redundancy. One would notice healthier and longer lived fish in tank setups like that. It is so worth a try and it is beautiful inside one's home if they've got the space.

Reactions: mrrobxc

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
I don’t think he is using plants to manage nitrate. He has submerged Anubias for the scape which is slow growing, not much a nitrate scruber.

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
I don’t think he is using plants to manage nitrate. He has submerged Anubias for the scape which is slow growing, not much a nitrate scruber.

Look at his first video. It shows the plants above water...
Plants do not control just nitrate. In fact they prefer ammonia and nitrite from the nitrogen compounds, also utilizing all sorts of metals and other minerals. The root area also transports oxygen into the water and also promotes the development of complex microbial zones that contribute to a healthy and balanced tank.

The video in post #2 on the first page. Beautiful.

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
Most monster fish tanks have no plants or scape, just a few ugly flower pots. The OP always has plants and scape, just check out his historical setups in the East Coast. I don't know how he can manage protecting the plants from the fish, as I am struggling with mine.

It's worthwhile to invest in a remote camera and watch the tank in another room or away from home. Is the 600 gal tank located in the basement? My 125 and 75 show tanks are located in the living area so I don't need to hide in the basement cave to watch them. Sometime I use a binocular to watch the tanks at the other end of the room while doing something else.
Plants and large fish shouldnt be a problem. It’s all in the scaping and where you put the natural territory boundaries. That’s what always worked for me in my previous setups.

This tank in particular has been up and running for about 9 months. The anubias has been on there since last summer and is thriving. The flagtail keeps the leaves clean and since I glued them onto the wood, no issues toying around with string or fishing line. Given the depth of the tank, the fish have plenty of swimming space and rarely bump into the hardscape. Every so often an anubias will be knocked off but I simply reglue it during my next water change.

The key here is balance. My filtration is heavy with a large pond bead filter and a 125 gallon sump. I also use good lighting that can penetrate from up high woth enough light to keep my plants happy. And I do 2/3 water changes weekly. Dimensions help as well and the tank is 96”x48”x30”.

Last edited:

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
The OP may have better ideas, having succeeded already in different setups but in my opinion in monster tanks one can concentrate on keeping only emersed plants. I pot mine in hanging plastic baskets, drilled with holes for water exchange and filled with clay pebbles. So generally the roots are protected and unless fish can fly, they can't get to them. My filters' flow is normally aimed at passing above the baskets surface.

Here are the ones above my indoor pond.View attachment 1363408

My planters are plastic black baskets with a hanger but I am sure there are all types of options suitable for glass tanks too.
Emersed plants are extremely efficient at maintaining water quality and give that extra level of redundancy. One would notice healthier and longer lived fish in tank setups like that. It is so worth a try and it is beautiful inside one's home if they've got the space.
Looks fantastic. I am able to avoid using baskets because I set my wood up to create a shelf that I plant onto. The shelf is at the top of the water column and keeps the fish from messing around woth the plants. I have a post somewhere I did a while back showing the wood shelf.

I have found anubias and swords to work well in monster tanks. Stems and Vallisnera don’t work well at all. Anubias can be glued to wood using glue in the gel form and makes attaching epiphytes a breeze. Just ensure you don’t keep fish that’ll nip or eat the leaves. The fish I have don’t and if I ever want to experiment, I’m always prepared to pull them out if I see any molested leaves.

Reactions: Coryloach

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
Mine are relatively small fish - clown loaches and denison barbs and they chopped down all my anubias to bits, no leaves left whatsoever..:)

Good idea on creating an "wood shelf" from the driftwood. It appears way more natural and unobtrusive.

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
I like the drift wood shelf approach, very natural and can create habitat for emerged growth. I saw the pothos in Video 1. How are they hidden behind the Anubias? Did you plant them for esthetics or for nitrate removal?

Mine are relatively small fish - clown loaches and denison barbs and they chopped down all my anubias to bits, no leaves left whatsoever..:)

Good idea on creating an "wood shelf" from the driftwood. It appears way more natural and unobtrusive.
Different fish, different habit. I have Denison barbs, and they never touch my Anubias or any plants. I used to have clown loaches, 8+ inch, and I won’t trust them with plants as they made nests by knocking over rock. Could you have wrongfully accused the DB for CL’s dirty job?

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
Could you have wrongfully accused the barbs for doing the dirty job?
Yes, quite possible I did. :naughty: However, I had kept my clown loaches with plants from the very start as I always have somewhat planted tanks. They did some damage, holes in the leaves but it wasn't until I got denison barbs which grew up, when all the anubias was shredded. I could still be wrong of course. iThe clowns also grew bigger so they still may be the major culprit. I had lots of anubias, years old, some large specimens as well growing up to 2f. I still have them but not in their tank.

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
I like the drift wood shelf approach, very natural and can create habitat for emerged growth. I saw the pothos in Video 1. How are they hidden behind the Anubias? Did you plant them for esthetics or for nitrate removal?

Different fish, different habit. I have Denison barbs, and they never touch my Anubias or any plants. I used to have clown loaches, 8+ inch, and I won’t trust them with plants as they made nests by knocking over rock. Could you have wrongfully accused the DB for CL’s dirty job?
I planted the anubias for looks. I do appreciate the value they add in helping remove nitrogenous waste but the main attraction is how they look. I always use plants in my tanks. It’s almost a matter of principle for me.

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
I planted the anubias for looks. I do appreciate the value they add in helping remove nitrogenous waste but the main attraction is how they look. I always use plants in my tanks. It’s almost a matter of principle for me.
Interesting. Pothos has similar leaf shape as Anubia barteri, and can fool people into believing they are the same plant. How do you secure the pothos onto the wood shelf? Do you find the pothos grow too fast and steal nutrients from Anubias.

Do you have an open top tank or partially covered to prevent PB from jumping out. PB are game fish and good jumper. An angler told me he caught PB in Amazon in 5 lb range with record 25 lb, and I assume it is different species from yours.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store