5ft x 2ft x 2ft tank use 1 canister filter or 2 canister filter better ?

Peter78

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2019
Hi, I'm going to get a 5ft x 2ft x 2ft fish tank. I'm not sure 1 canister filter or 2 canister filter better, but of cos the price can't be too expensive.
currently only plan for 1 Arowana 10 inch and 1 sucker fish.

Please advise guys :)

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
I would never buy an fluval filter if i had to buy a new cannister. I would put some extra cash in an eheim 2260/2262. I own two 2262, two fx5 and one fx6 the fluval cannisters i have got when i have bought tanks. The eheims i have bought used from an old fish store and they are workhorses. One of my eheims ar well over 15 years old and i have only changed some gaskets for it.

CrazyKoiCracker

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2018
I’m on the side of setting up s sump filter. Even a ten gallon tank can hold way more media than a fx6. The trick with a sump is plumbing the tank. But if you’re getting an arowana you need to take the time and do it right. Even if you don’t have the money for it all at once, buy it piece by piece. Eclipse overflow with the drill, run some flexible tubing down to a sump. Start off with a 10 or twenty gallon aquarium filled with some filter floss or a sock and then pack the rest with lava rock and a 500-800 gph pump running up to the tank.
From there you can upgrade as you get spare cash. Eshops makes some very affordable sumps, and aquacity has ceramic media for a fraction of the cost of biomaxx or something similar.
If you want to get the full set up all at once you’re looking at something like this.
Eclipse overflow-about $100
Eshops sump, less than 200-300 if I were to round up.
Aquacity media-$50
And then a pump and tubing for a return, you can spend hundreds on a pump or 50 dollars. So let’s say $100 for that.
You’re looking at maybe $400 for equipment you’ll have forever.
If you want to buy bulkheads and pvc and your own diamond hole saw you can cut out the eclipse and save about 70 dollars.
An arowana is a serious fish and it deserves a serious home.
If this doesn’t work for you, I would say get a fluval canister. Fx4 or the next smaller one. And then put a ac 110 on the back as well.
Sump is the way to go though. You can use it later for saltwater too if you want.

Reactions: Peter78

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
If you can not swing a sump, 2 AC110 HoB can round it out, not very expensive and arguably the best HoB made. I never ran a tank with out them. even with one or 2 canisters.

Peter78

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2019
Thanks guys for the advise n guide.
My 5ft tank cannot put sump. so i just want to put canister filter, but not sure 1 or 2 canister to put.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store