So the sealant isn't sealing...

Zack333

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2018
I woke up this morning to find the silicone seal on the edge of my tank was letting water through about half way up. Any ideas/Product recommendations to fix this?
Thanks

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; If you are sure it is a leak thru the tank seal then time for a new tank or a reseal. I have found a few times that water getting outside has come from other things so first thing I do anymore is make sure it actually is a leak.

Zack333

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2018
I'm pretty sure it's coming through the seal the trail of water starts there and I could see where the water between the two pieces of tempered glass. Which won't stop dripping. All the intakes/outtakes ect. are dry. Also the leak seems a lot lower than I first expected more at the bottom 1/4 of the tank. Maybe I'll get a new tank while I fix this one and then I'll have 2! :)
Any suggestions on a type/brand of safe silicone

Oughtsix

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2011
Redmond, OR
Silicone does not stick to cured silicone very well. So smathering silicone on top of existing cured silicone is generally just a temporary band-aid.

Good call on getting a new tank. When you reseal the old tank the hardest part is getting all the old silicone off before applying new. I will let someone else recommend a specific silicone as it has been many years since I have resealed a tank... I am not even sure if they are still making silicone out of silicone any more?... they are probably using some sort of artificial silicone to make silicone these days.

Last edited:

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
Zack333 Zack333 what is the size of this tank?
I use GE1 for small tanks but once it gets over 75 I switch to RTV 108 from Momentive
This stuff is crazy strong.

Zack333

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2018
About 60 gallons, I ended up getting rid of it this weekend because I'm going to be moving soon and it would be easier not to have it for the move and I could Craigslist another tank once I'm settled in. That aside thanks for all the help and product recommendations, I'm thinking I might pick up some of that silicone Big-G mentioned just to have it on hand if this happens again after my move.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
About 60 gallons, I ended up getting rid of it this weekend because I'm going to be moving soon and it would be easier not to have it for the move and I could Craigslist another tank once I'm settled in. That aside thanks for all the help and product recommendations, I'm thinking I might pick up some of that silicone Big-G mentioned just to have it on hand if this happens again after my move.
hello; Silicone has a shelf life. Might be better to locate a source. Look for a date if you do not plan to use it soon.

Reactions: Zack333
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store