Jardini Tankmates

MonsterFishGuy13

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2019
I keep a wet pet tank with a midas cichlid and two community tanks. I like both types of setups a lot. A single species tank is a lot like having a dog or cat. The larger, territorial, aggressive cichlids typically have loads more personality than your typical community fish or even oscars imo.
What would make a good solo fish to keep?

MonsterFishGuy13

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2019
They do look pretty cool however none seem to be available near me:cry:
I’ve got some tank ideas if you guys could let me know which would work that would be great
1x Jardini with some fast moving community fish
Or
4x Oscars
Or
Midas/Red Devil with some fast moving community fish
Or
2x Oscars with Giant Gourami
Or finally
Jardini with Midas/Red Devil

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
4 adult oscars are way too much for a 180g (adult bio-load plus territoriality); I had 2 in a 125g and it warranted nearly 100% water change a week in about 2-3 years time.

2 oscars with a giant gourami are way to much for a 180g (adult bio-load plus territoriality)

Jardini with a midas is way too much for a 180g (general aggressiveness)

The best one is a midas with larger dither fish maybe like boesemani rainbows, sailfin mollies, or giant danios. But if you can't stand the possibility of losing dither fish due to an aggressive midas, then skip the dithers.

MonsterFishGuy13

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2019
4 adult oscars are way too much for a 180g (adult bio-load plus territoriality); I had 2 in a 125g and it warranted nearly 100% water change a week in about 2-3 years time.

2 oscars with a giant gourami are way to much for a 180g (adult bio-load plus territoriality)

Jardini with a midas is way too much for a 180g (general aggressiveness)

The best one is a midas with larger dither fish maybe like boesemani rainbows, sailfin mollies, or giant danios. But if you can't stand the possibility of losing dither fish due to an aggressive midas, then skip the dithers.
Okay thank you what are your thoughts on Jardini with the dither fish?

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
What would make a good solo fish to keep?
I like amphilophus cichlids--there are several popular species, most common are red devil or midas. Most will top out somewhere in the 12-18" range and are active and personable. Quite impressive fish when they get large as well.

I would almost certainly try to find a male Amphilophus hogaboomarum or amphilophus chancho if i had your tank and was looking for a wet pet. There are quite a few threads in the cichlid subsection of this forum relating to these fish.

Reactions: MonsterFishGuy13

MonsterFishGuy13

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2019
I like amphilophus cichlids--there are several popular species, most common are red devil or midas. Most will top out somewhere in the 12-18" range and are active and personable. Quite impressive fish when they get large as well.

I would almost certainly try to find a male Amphilophus hogaboomarum or amphilophus chancho if i had your tank and was looking for a wet pet. There are quite a few threads in the cichlid subsection of this forum relating to these fish.
They are nice fish in all honesty right now I can’t decide between getting a Midas or Oscars or Jardini

Reactions: Backfromthedead
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store