"Cheap" amazon (wills,mars aqua etc.) Lighting

Nilsafeller

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2018
High river Alberta Canada
Just a post about some of the "cheaper" China built lighting I've bought over the years..

First one was a Mars aqua 165 watt light that sits atop the 65 gal and one I just picked up from Wills light also 165 watt but longer 22 inch to the Mars 16 inch

Absolutely love these lights... I've been very surprised by the Chinese made products for aquariums and more so with these lights than anything else... great reveiws including my own... very powerful lights without the HUGE cost of the big name brands... high par and decent looking... light weight yet durable only downside is manual control but I've seen "viperspectra" also same lighting but with remote control... but costs a bit more...

Tank looking clean... just gotta buy some brackets to mount to the wall and hang it!

20190314_181748.jpg

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
I agree I am a fan of Chinese LEDs. I use a hipargero on my nano reef and have had great growth, even seems to be able to keep acropora happy. All for 60 bucks!

I have been looking at a "viparspectra" 165w LED for when I upgrade the tank. Basically it's a mars aqua light with built in controller and timer.

Reactions: Nilsafeller

Nilsafeller

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2018
I agree I am a fan of Chinese LEDs. I use a hipargero on my nano reef and have had great growth, even seems to be able to keep acropora happy. All for 60 bucks!

I have been looking at a "viparspectra" 165w LED for when I upgrade the tank. Basically it's a mars aqua light with built in controller and timer.
Yep that's the light I was referring to with remote control... it's a bit more expensive than the other lights for that reason, but def worth it... they are all actually the same light built by the same Chinese manufacturer just different label on them and one has control... other has knobs on front... other has knobs on top etc. Etc.... but wow they are phenomenal lights... very beautiful spectrum!

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
I bought a couple long LED's and have programmed Alexa to turn them off and on (wifi plugs) at different times so the tank is not real bright in morning and afternoon. To mimic sunrise and sunset.
This in addition to the light that came with the tank (on timer). My tank is made in china and I am getting another. China makes all kinds of tanks and you can custom order sizes. The tanks I see in the forums and made in USA are antiquated or for reefers. My special order black tank with bent glass is being made as we speak.

Nilsafeller

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2018
I bought a couple long LED's and have programmed Alexa to turn them off and on (wifi plugs) at different times so the tank is not real bright in morning and afternoon. To mimic sunrise and sunset.
This in addition to the light that came with the tank (on timer). My tank is made in china and I am getting another. China makes all kinds of tanks and you can custom order sizes. The tanks I see in the forums and made in USA are antiquated or for reefers. My special order black tank with bent glass is being made as we speak.
What's the shipping costs on a tank from China? Lol

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
You have to order through a distributor. You just need to talk to the people.
Shipping is sometimes free. The tank I am getting includes free shipping and installation.
Here is an example of a chinese tank.
Cleair has some nice tanks. I have talked to these people and you can make arrangements to buy a tank. They usually price it with shipping to your door.
If you are really serious you can contact the company and become a distributor. You can do this through Alibaba.
I am getting my second tank through Tiger Mountain Industrial.
I didn't like the gold trim so they are doing a run with black anodized trim.
Initially I was going to get a Cleair as I already own one but Tiger Mountain had better pricing.

Nilsafeller

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2018
Shipping is sometimes free. The tank I am getting includes free shipping and installation.
Cleair has some nice tanks. I have talked to these people and you can make arrangements to buy a tank. They usually price it with shipping to your door.
If you are really serious you can contact the company and become a distributor. You can do this through Alibaba.
Initially I was going to get a Cleair as I already own one but Tiger Mountain had better pricing.
Wow that's really cool I'll take a look at it

Nilsafeller

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2018
I dunno. Tbh used is by far the best way to go... I bought my 210 gallon with full lids and a nice custom stand for 200

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
I dunno. Tbh used is by far the best way to go... I bought my 210 gallon with full lids and a nice custom stand for 200
No way my wife would allow used stuff in our home. If we had room for a fish room maybe. Like I say, in US the only sharp looking tanks are usually reefers and the are generally short, small and pricey. Stuff like this (photo) does nothing for me. Feels like 1990 at grandma's house.

Tank.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store