Leichardti/Jardini and bottom dwellers

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Can you guys share your experiences with keeping these fish with bottom dwellers ? If you can also state how long you've kept the conbo together.

I want my son to research this so he'll most likely be reading this thread. The tank is a 300 gallon with a good chance of an upgrade in the near future. We mainly keep bichirs but any experience with pleco, cats , and other botton dwellers will be appreciated.

Also are they interactive or at least owner responsive?

Rhyno8

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Mar 15, 2017
I recently took on a jardini about 22-24” in size must be about 6 weeks now he’s left my ray, pleco and mouth sized Salmontail catfish alone the only fish he beefs with is a red devil and that’s more slight chasing. I think alots on tank size with there aggression one of the previous owners of my tank kept 3 adult jardini together with no issues. As for being interactive he’s started begging for food like a cichlid. I raised one when I was younger until he made the final jump and he always left my bottom dwellers alone.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
500gallon it’s an odd foot print 120”x40”x25” height good for the bottom dwelling species.
Thx for the insight.

Reactions: tlindsey

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Bump. Son is gonna start reading these threads if possible i'd like a few more opinions

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
I've never had a Leichardti/Jardini, and only have heard that esp. the latter can be more aggressive than Asian Aro, but perhaps some are more aggro than others. My experience with an Aro and Bichir together was brief.

I had bought a young 6-7" Delzi and after QT put him in a 375 gallon. He was there by himself about a week, maybe 2 when I finally got in my 10.5" Gold Xback Arowana (that later jumped into a corner filter and died). But what was curious was that the usually peaceful and bottom dwelling poly went up to the top zone after intro of the Aro and kept swimming in that area back and forth, kind of trying to block the Aro, sometimes even bumping into him.

They might have worked it out but I didn't want to take a chance and gave the (very cool but much cheaper) poly back to my LFS. That said I was pretty surprised by the territorial attitude displayed by the smaller Delzi, though as it was my first and only I can't say if others are similar (admittedly it's not uncommon for me to get jerk fish). Don't know if this info will help or confuse jaws7777 Jr. :)

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Had a 14 inch Silver in the 180 gallon with Polys until it jumped out. Ignored the Polypterus.
I've never had a Leichardti/Jardini, and only have heard that esp. the latter can be more aggressive than Asian Aro, but perhaps some are more aggro than others. My experience with an Aro and Bichir together was brief.

I had bought a young 6-7" Delzi and after QT put him in a 375 gallon. He was there by himself about a week, maybe 2 when I finally got in my 10.5" Gold Xback Arowana (that later jumped into a corner filter and died). But what was curious was that the usually peaceful and bottom dwelling poly went up to the top zone after intro of the Aro and kept swimming in that area back and forth, kind of trying to block the Aro, sometimes even bumping into him.

They might have worked it out but I didn't want to take a chance and gave the (very cool but much cheaper) poly back to my LFS. That said I was pretty surprised by the territorial attitude displayed by the smaller Delzi, though as it was my first and only I can't say if others are similar (admittedly it's not uncommon for me to get jerk fish). Don't know if this info will help or confuse jaws7777 Jr. :)
Thx guys... nope good info my kid will enjoy reading it.

More the better !

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store