Leichardti/Jardini and bottom dwellers

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Hi J jaws7777 and Son. I have had a Leichardti since it was approximately 4". Over three years later, it is now ~21-22". Since the beginning it has been in the same tank with a blue phantom pleco (4.5") and gold nugget (3"). The plecos were there prior to the Lei, but I truly don't think that makes a difference who came first in my case. The plecos are very slow growing, and the good news is the Lei leaves them alone and has never ever bothered them. In fact the Lei chases the two red spotted Severums that are also in the tank.

I've had two Lei's, and both have had protruding lower jaws (as Hao Hao mentioned) Not the best looking, but it's mine ; - )
Thanks man. I thought you kept him alone. Any recent pics ? Same i used to drool over ?

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Like T I’ve kept a silver with bichirs. Ignored each other. My honest opinion jaws, your polys aren’t what you have to worry about. It’s the cichlids. They’ll compete with the jar. The bichirs will be ignored for the most part you might see a nip when one goes for air here and there but nothing major where they’ll feel threatened enough to not go up. The vulture might see some aggression similar to the bichirs, when he goes up he might see a little chase. If you wanna be safe from aggression, the black is the safest route. Won’t outgrow your tank. And never stop swimming as aros do lol

Reactions: islandguy11

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Like T I’ve kept a silver with bichirs. Ignored each other. My honest opinion jaws, your polys aren’t what you have to worry about. It’s the cichlids. They’ll compete with the jar. The bichirs will be ignored for the most part you might see a nip when one goes for air here and there but nothing major where they’ll feel threatened enough to not go up. The vulture might see some aggression similar to the bichirs, when he goes up he might see a little chase. If you wanna be safe from aggression, the black is the safest route. Won’t outgrow your tank. And never stop swimming as aros do lol
Thx moe. Unfortunately we're down to one cichlid, pearsei passed.

Yeah im comfortable with either of aro type. I wanted my little guy to read these threads and decide how he wanted to proceed. I want him to get used to searching for things and reading others opinion vs just boring old dad lol

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
So nice. Id really love to be able to get another big tank devoted to just an aro and maybe a large pleco.
Thank you. I too wish I had room for a bigger tank...but don't we all lol? I definitely would look at running a drip system. A lot of time is spent draining and filling. And thats already using my closed loop pump to drain.

Edit: see that little gold nugget on the CLC return? Like an Aro snack ;-)

Reactions: moe214

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Thank you. I too wish I had room for a bigger tank...but don't we all lol? I definitely would look at running a drip system. A lot of time is spent draining and filling. And thats already using my closed loop pump to drain.

Edit: see that little gold nugget on the CLC return? Like an Aro snack ;-)

Too funny, completely miss it. Ueah man the drip is that project i keep making excuses to not get around too. Are you on well or city water ? Does the drip drive up the water bill ?

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
C christian360

note2self

Candiru
MFK Member
May 27, 2014
pac nw
I kept a 12" Jardini in a 125 with a RTCxTSN Hybrid and he did just fine. He's also been tankmates with Channel cats and Indian Shovelnose cats as well. Never bothered them at all. The only time he showed his aggression is towards the pair of Oscars that I kept in there as well (I was in between setting up tanks). They would fight all the time and the Jardini would always win lol.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store