300 Poly Paradise

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Been doubling my frequency of water changes and checking my ph regularly and comparing it to my tap. Tap was coming in at 8. Tank still below 6. Even 24 hours after a 50% water change. Couldn't figure it out.

My test kit expired 11/17.........

New one is one the way
So after putting your tap water in a container for 24 hours, and the ph measured is still 8?

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
Sorry for losing your fish. It happens to all of us once in a while

The tank looks great as well.

Then i'll spend the next (probably) months trying to figure out why it crashed in the first place....
High bioload and low buffering capacity(KH).
KH is used up in nitrification. Excessive bio would pull the KH down too fast between water changes and the pH will crash as a consequence. Acidic tank, no buffering and the established bacs are also in shock, hence the ammonia.

Up the water changes significantly to remove all readable ammonia. You're not going to shock the fish by bringing the pH back up, they're in shock right now trying to deal with the acidity.

OTp1144

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2013
Swimmin' with the fishes
Sorry for losing your fish. It happens to all of us once in a while

The tank looks great as well.

High bioload and low buffering capacity(KH).
KH is used up in nitrification. Excessive bio would pull the KH down too fast between water changes and the pH will crash as a consequence. Acidic tank, no buffering and the established bacs are also in shock, hence the ammonia.

Up the water changes significantly to remove all readable ammonia. You're not going to shock the fish by bringing the pH back up, they're in shock right now trying to deal with the acidity.
all very true and i've dealt with this the same situation before from a massive piece of driftwood that was leaching tannins with basically 0 kh/gh from the tap. Very easy to fix. But that's if this is actually what's going on. without valid tests these are all shots in the dark

Reactions: jaws7777

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
without valid tests these are all shots in the dark
It is an educated guess. The only way pH can go so low in comparison to your tap is when the buffering capacity is down to zero or thereabouts, providing you're not injecting CO2 for your plants.

OTp1144

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2013
Swimmin' with the fishes
It is an educated guess. The only way pH can go so low in comparison to your tap is when the buffering capacity is down to zero or thereabouts, providing you're not injecting CO2 for your plants.
Right. But we're assuming the ph is off in the first place. It could've been perfect and still could be. She could've just died from old age. Or something completely different.

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
But based on the results, ph is below 6
Water out the tap is 8.0
Apologies, did I read these wrong?

She could've just died from old age. Or something completely different.
How old was she?
Water quality is the number one cause for both fish deaths and fish diseases. Weaker fish go first. Albino are generally the weakest link.
This is just my personal opinion based on experience and knowledge but sure, there could be other possible causes. I hope you sort things out.

OTp1144

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2013
Swimmin' with the fishes
You can read. Lol

But again. Those numbers were taken from an expired test kit and are unreliable. It was just as expired then as it is now.

She was at least 10, I wasn't her first owner. She was also fed a diet of chicken and beef and other not normal poly food while being kept in a 20 gallon for the first at least 4 years of her life. And I agree albinos usually do have the worst genes and are the first to go.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
You can read. Lol

But again. Those numbers were taken from an expired test kit and are unreliable. It was just as expired then as it is now.

She was at least 10, I wasn't her first owner. She was also fed a diet of chicken and beef and other not normal poly food while being kept in a 20 gallon for the first at least 4 years of her life. And I agree albinos usually do have the worst genes and are the first to go.
I doubt the fishes death was cause by the ph issue. 10 yr old polys is an accomplishment. Agree about the test kit. Cant trust something thats expired

Reactions: OTp1144

OTp1144

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2013
Swimmin' with the fishes
New test kit came in. Ph 6.6, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 10. Picking up a hardness test this weekend. Clearly my water is not as hard as i thought.

Based on the tank still being fully cycled, I'm hesitant to think the cycle actually crashed. There'd be signs of ammonia or nitrite. If it stalled, there'd be signs of them or higher nitrates.

Thinking back I recall seeing a red spot with slightly scales on her back a few days before her passing. It healed completely in 2 days so I thought nothing of it, maybe just a scrape from jumping. But now I'm thinking it might have been more than that.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store