300 Poly Paradise

OTp1144

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2013
Swimmin' with the fishes
Did a photo shoot during a water change. Seems they're much more active when the pumps are off. I'm thinking they're too loud. Gonna look in to how to silence them better.

20190316_171018.jpg
20190316_170947.jpg

Great camouflage
20190316_170835.jpg

Loving the yellows
20190316_170749.jpg

Flying fox being cute in the flow
20190316_171730.jpg

Someone is showing off....
20190316_171047.jpg

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Reallly nice pics. My group does the same thing during water changes. I feel like its the gph which isnt high as is. Maybe it is the pumps. Mine are dead silent but who knows how sensitive they are to slight vibrations

OTp1144

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2013
Swimmin' with the fishes
Just as things were looking good, I came home to the albino senegal belly up in the plants. Apparently my tank has crashed. or my test kit is bad and I have no idea what killed her. But based on the results, ph is below 6, ammonia is around 1, nitrites are 0, nitrates are 20-40ish. Other than a complete deep clean of the sump and another 50% water change, I'm at a complete loss on how to fix this. I don't want to add crushed coral or ph adjusters because changing the ph that much that quickly will no doubt kill everyone else due to the semi cycle crash and resulting ammonia. So that's my plan, along with crossing my fingers everything else fixes itself.

Then i'll spend the next (probably) months trying to figure out why it crashed in the first place....

• Sad
Reactions: twentyleagues

Polyaddict86

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 1, 2016
Yey bay bay
Just as things were looking good, I came home to the albino senegal belly up in the plants. Apparently my tank has crashed. or my test kit is bad and I have no idea what killed her. But based on the results, ph is below 6, ammonia is around 1, nitrites are 0, nitrates are 20-40ish. Other than a complete deep clean of the sump and another 50% water change, I'm at a complete loss on how to fix this. I don't want to add crushed coral or ph adjusters because changing the ph that much that quickly will no doubt kill everyone else due to the semi cycle crash and resulting ammonia. So that's my plan, along with crossing my fingers everything else fixes itself.

Then i'll spend the next (probably) months trying to figure out why it crashed in the first place....
Sorry to hear that, hope everything goes well.

Reactions: OTp1144

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego

Do you know what your KH is?

OTp1144

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2013
Swimmin' with the fishes
Do you know what your KH is?
I ran out of tests for kh/gh. But in my cleaning of the sump today, I'm pretty sure I found the problem. I have lingerie bags full of pot scrubbies which I was taking out and rinsing every 3-4 months. It seems I was missing one when i did that because when I rinsed it today, it was BLACK as the heart of a cave. Took 3 rinses in a 5 gallon bucket before it ran clean.

So I rearranged things to ensure I get every bag in the future and I'll be increasing the frequency of my media cleanings. Water out the tap is 8.0 and after a 50% water change, the tank is around 6.5. So we'll see what it is at tomorrow and it'll be a good enough judge for me on if I need to go get some crushed coral or if I actually solved the problem.

Horrible way to learn a lesson...

• Sad
Reactions: beau1990

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
I ran out of tests for kh/gh. But in my cleaning of the sump today, I'm pretty sure I found the problem. I have lingerie bags full of pot scrubbies which I was taking out and rinsing every 3-4 months. It seems I was missing one when i did that because when I rinsed it today, it was BLACK as the heart of a cave. Took 3 rinses in a 5 gallon bucket before it ran clean.

So I rearranged things to ensure I get every bag in the future and I'll be increasing the frequency of my media cleanings. Water out the tap is 8.0 and after a 50% water change, the tank is around 6.5. So we'll see what it is at tomorrow and it'll be a good enough judge for me on if I need to go get some crushed coral or if I actually solved the problem.

Horrible way to learn a lesson...

Sorry for your loss.
Are you getting any nitrates or nitrites ?

If no nitrates order 4 or 5 bottles of tetra safestart plus. It will have you cycled much faster than waiting this out. Feed very lightly for the 1st few weeks. Dont use dose with safestart for at least 24 or 48 hrs after using a dechlorinator and shake the crap out of the bottles.

Ive cycled tanks in less than a week with this product and also crashed my bio when i set up my 300 doing daily wcs to keep ammonia down on a tank this large is not fun

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store