New here...but not really

JayK1320

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2008
Boston, MA
Hi everyone, I'm Jason. I am not really new to the hobby or to MFK, but it has been a number of years (10?) since I've been active in either.

I am local to the Boston, MA (USA) area and welcome and advice on LFS places to check out. I am starting fresh and small this go around with a 20L tank to get the now pregnant wife interested. Though I could see the hobby growing over the next couple of years as our child grows and gets interested in the fish.

I am hoping to do a mini sized African tank, but not sure how successful I will be. Originally started by thinking about a Peacock, but thinking my tank my be too small for a male and 2 female. I have found the African Butterfly Cichlid or Scarlet Badis which may be a better fit to get started, but they seem more difficult to find.

Being that it has been many years since I last dabbled in this, I am hoping there may be a good and reliable online source now so you do not have to rely on LFS to get what you need, it seems you can find anything online, so any advice there would be great!

Generally I really like the look of a sand bottom, rocky / driftwood scape, with the iridescent and bright fish colors, which is what lead me to Africans. I am however open to suggestions as I get back into the hobby.

I also like to setup a mini kind of eco system, my previous experience was with a 55G tank with 2 male Peacocks, 4 female, with snails, a crawfish, some kind of small bottom feeder that I can't recall, java fern, limestone and driftwood. I've attached a picture here of an old setup from 2008. Wish I had kept that 55G tank and the fluval filter I had with it.

TLDR: I am excited to be back and hope to find some good people and LFS in the Boston, MA area!

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hi everyone, I'm Jason. I am not really new to the hobby or to MFK, but it has been a number of years (10?) since I've been active in either.

I am local to the Boston, MA (USA) area and welcome and advice on LFS places to check out. I am starting fresh and small this go around with a 20L tank to get the now pregnant wife interested. Though I could see the hobby growing over the next couple of years as our child grows and gets interested in the fish.

I am hoping to do a mini sized African tank, but not sure how successful I will be. Originally started by thinking about a Peacock, but thinking my tank my be too small for a male and 2 female. I have found the African Butterfly Cichlid or Scarlet Badis which may be a better fit to get started, but they seem more difficult to find.

Being that it has been many years since I last dabbled in this, I am hoping there may be a good and reliable online source now so you do not have to rely on LFS to get what you need, it seems you can find anything online, so any advice there would be great!

Generally I really like the look of a sand bottom, rocky / driftwood scape, with the iridescent and bright fish colors, which is what lead me to Africans. I am however open to suggestions as I get back into the hobby.

I also like to setup a mini kind of eco system, my previous experience was with a 55G tank with 2 male Peacocks, 4 female, with snails, a crawfish, some kind of small bottom feeder that I can't recall, java fern, limestone and driftwood. I've attached a picture here of an old setup from 2008. Wish I had kept that 55G tank and the fluval filter I had with it.

TLDR: I am excited to be back and hope to find some good people and LFS in the Boston, MA area!
Welcome back!

Reactions: JayK1320

JayK1320

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2008
Boston, MA
Welcome back!
Thank you! I am very excited to get back into this hobby, I find the fish tank very relaxing and fun to watch nature run its course in there.

Reactions: Matteus

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Additionally I order most of my dry goods from Amazon food, Prime, and typically most of my equipment now. Usually can buy the stuff cheaper and get it next day.

Reactions: JayK1320

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Additionally again, Petco, and Petsmart have these Dollar per gallon sales where you can get raw glass tanks (no lids just the tank) up to 29 gallons for a buck per gallon, 40b, 55, 75 at 1/2 normal cost.

Petsmart also has deals randomly on tank combos (tank, stand, lids, lights). Like atm they have 6ft 125gallon for $499, minus another 5% if you buy online and pick up in store. So a guaranteed for life 125 for $450 if you use the stand it comes with. Cant beat that.

JAYBIRD1011

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2017
Wilmington NC

Welcome back! I’m looking forward to seeing your build progress.

JayK1320

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2008
Boston, MA
Reactions: JAYBIRD1011
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store