West African 55 gallon ideas.

james99

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2009
savannah,ga
I just moved everyone from a 40 breeder into a 55 and would like to add something else. Any ideas are welcome. Current stock is 4 buffalohead cichlids, 1 synodontis nigervinter, and maybe 6 Congo tetras. So far I know I want to add a few syno friends, other than that I'm not too sure.

james99

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2009
savannah,ga
I can get ropefish, leaf fish, and African butterfly fish easily. I'm interested to see if there's anything else I haven't thought of. I'd love to find Distichodus teugelsi, but not sure how possible that is.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Not sure if it’s a west African fish but how about xenomystus nigiri. Hendre Hendre may have some ideas.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
From what I have seen buffalo's like flowy water. They are found in similar regions but larger lakes and backwaters, buffalo cichlids in riverine streams. They aren't fans of flow IME

Belly up

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2008
Wolverine, MI
You could have a male pseudocrenilabrus nicholsi as a center piece sort of fish. Amazing colors. Are you planting the tank?

james99

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2009
savannah,ga
You could have a male pseudocrenilabrus nicholsi as a center piece sort of fish. Amazing colors. Are you planting the tank?
It has some anubias that was in the old tank and a few java Fern mats (not African, I know) I may track down a few African plants in the future.

james99

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2009
savannah,ga
From what I have seen buffalo's like flowy water. They are found in similar regions but larger lakes and backwaters, buffalo cichlids in riverine streams. They aren't fans of flow IME
The only flow I've had was from the aquaclear 70, now there's 2 on the tank. Seems to be a good balance for the buffalos and Congo's.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
I thought most got too big for a 55, if not wouldn't they snack on the Congo tetras?
55 would be perfect for captive bred senegalus. They don't get very big at all. They are distributed all over Africa and do reside in west Africa. King el put together a great list on the subject.

guess it depends on the congo tetras size. twentyleagues twentyleagues kept congos and polys. im pretty sure polli are from west Africa too. Having never kept one i'd defer to twenty regarding their size

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store