Official Off Topic Discussion Thread #1

skjl47

Probation Member
Probation Member
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; Had a new situation the other day. I went to buy a new car. Had already worked out the price over the phone. had my cashiers with me. The problem came about when the person at the dealership wanted my SS #. I was told it was needed to apply for a title in OH. I refused to give out my SS so the deal stopped.
When I got home I called my county court clerk to see if TN requires a SS # for a title. She says some dealerships do ask for SS but she did not know why. The SS# does not show on a title at all. The dealer had my drivers license, my home address and I was not applying for credit.

Anyway I am curious and welcome any comments from folks that follow this thread. I suggested yesterday that maybe if I gave the last four digits of my SS but have not heard back on that.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Hello; Had a new situation the other day. I went to buy a new car. Had already worked out the price over the phone. had my cashiers with me. The problem came about when the person at the dealership wanted my SS #. I was told it was needed to apply for a title in OH. I refused to give out my SS so the deal stopped.
When I got home I called my county court clerk to see if TN requires a SS # for a title. She says some dealerships do ask for SS but she did not know why. The SS# does not show on a title at all. The dealer had my drivers license, my home address and I was not applying for credit.

Anyway I am curious and welcome any comments from folks that follow this thread. I suggested yesterday that maybe if I gave the last four digits of my SS but have not heard back on that.
Did you contact the dealership and inform them it was needed ?

I never considered this when buying a car

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Send an email to corporate explaining your apprehensions and that their requirement caused them a sale.

skjl47

Probation Member
Probation Member
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Did you contact the dealership and inform them it was needed ?

I never considered this when buying a car
Hello; I was at the dealership in person. I had driven about 200 miles to get there. I had stopped at my bank to get the cashiers check which they asked for. This SS # thing is a new thing for me. I can see a need if you are asking to finance but I had arranged a total cash payment.
For some time I have been reluctant to give out my SS#.
I am not sure what to think so am casting about for others to give input.

skjl47

Probation Member
Probation Member
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Send an email to corporate explaining your apprehensions and that their requirement caused them a sale.
Hello; I think she went to the boss of the Ford dealership while I was there. It is not clear to me whose rule this may be. I do not know if it is a dealership rule, a ford rule, an Ohio county rule, a Ohio state rule. The folks at the dealership have not yet explained any of that, only that they require my SS to apply for the title.

Note - I live in TN and was trying to buy from a dealer in OH. Not sure if that matters. I figure my being out of state had something to do with them not wanting to take a personal check but the rest is not clear to me.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Hello; I think she went to the boss of the Ford dealership while I was there. It is not clear to me whose rule this may be. I do not know if it is a dealership rule, a ford rule, an Ohio county rule, a Ohio state rule. The folks at the dealership have not yet explained any of that, only that they require my SS to apply for the title.
It sounds like a ridiculous requirement especially since no one can seem to explain it.......too bad you had to travel so far to wind upbwith nothing but that thrown in your face.
I would still complain to corporate,at the very least I would like a clear explanation for my troubles.

Reactions: skjl47

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Today should be an interesting news day....big things at 11 am

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach

Note - I live in TN and was trying to buy from a dealer in OH. Not sure if that matters. I figure my being out of state had something to do with them not wanting to take a personal check but the rest is not clear to me.
About 10 years ago I was shopping for a new car. I went to a Ford dealer and did a test drive on a small car. The radio had a removable face plate. The salesman wouldn't put it on for the test drive. So long Ford! Bought European. I hate dealing with all car salesmen.
As far as your SS#, that should only be needed for credit.
I don't think the real "boss" knows what is going on. Either that or just stupid. You would think they would want to sell the car. Sounds like they may run a credit check on everybody, but you were paying cash. Weird.

Reactions: skjl47

skjl47

Probation Member
Probation Member
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Today should be an interesting news day....big things at 11 am
Hello; If you of thinking of a press conference and a particular report then yes this will be an interesting day. Washington journal is about that right now. Too bad we are restricted from discussing these things.

Reactions: jaws7777
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store