Chinese-English translation of food ingredients

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
Nope, only the Aros. After learning more myself about the benefits of GLP I'm tempted to feed some of the Sianlon to my Kamfa Flowerhorn, who has what I suspect is a tumor in his cheek/near an eye, but am reluctant to do so given the high protein content which is not suitable for FH. Might feed him a little bit now and then though.
Well...keep us appraised!

Reactions: islandguy11

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
Sorry but not quite right again buddy -- in this case we again face a translation issue: the "polysacharrides' and "Immunity thingy" are actually referring to Ganoderma lucidum polysaccharides (GLP). GLP has long been used in traditional Chinese medicine, and is known for its anti-cancer and immunity boosting properties. I think it is derived primarily from certain mushrooms.

If you do a bit more googling you will find many studies, most all of which demonstrate the effectiveness of GLP (though many are in relation to humans and also regarding the tumor fighting ability of GLP's).

But here's one published in the International Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Studies 2016 that relates to GLP and Grass carp (Ctenopharyngodon idella):

In case you don't want to read the whole thing here were there findings:
"In conclusion, the present study indicates that supplementation of 1.0 g kg-1 Ganoderma lucidum polysaccharides in Ctenopharyngodon idella diets enhanced the survival and growth performance."

Again plenty more online studies supporting similar, so I'm thinking that while I doubt it's a 'super food', maybe Sianlon Arowana food ain't half bad bro -- leastways no worse than OF AR-G2, which makes some pretty hefty similar claims:

OF® AR-G2 Intense Colour is a premium Arowana carnivorous pelleted feed that excels in all grow-out conditions and enhanced with our proprietary color enhancing, body shaping and fin elongation with OF® OptiAR-X protein linker.

FEATURES

• Enriched with OF® OptiAR-X, a metabolic enhancer that enhances Food Conversion Rate (FCR), increases the palatability, boost growth- fin elongation and body shaping.
  • Fortifies immune system, OF® AR-G2 is bio-formulated to fortify the Arowana’s immune system for better health and extra resistance against parasitic sickness, thus reducing mortality.
  • Enhances growth through superior digestive performance during high levels of feeding.
  • No artificial chemical coloring / enhancer added. Made from natural organic sources.
  • Superior color enhancement that intensifies your beloved Arowana’s color pigments.
  • Pure animal protein feed that is easily metabolized by the Arowana carnivorous digestive system.

I don't think I ever thought they were lousy.. after all the best people to produce aro food should logically be aro breeders

I just lol at the claims because almost every fish food I see states the same thing

Also if it is GLP, I be very surprised if they included mushroom specially lingzhi due to cost more than anything else especially if they are feeding their aros the same food

Reactions: islandguy11

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Also if it is GLP, I be very surprised if they included mushroom specially lingzhi due to cost more than anything else especially if they are feeding their aros the same food
There are actually quite a few other sources of 'fungal polysaccharides' besides lingzhi. From another interesting study done in 2018:
Potential uses of fungal polysaccharides as immunostimulants in fish and shrimp
aquaculture: A review (https://www.researchgate.net/public...lants_in_fish_and_shrimp_aquaculture_A_review):

”Higher fungi are well sources of a wild range of most important natural products.
Over the last decade, great attention was generated in the polysaccharides produced by the
numerous fungi especially mushrooms because of their various biological properties, such as
anti-oxidant, anti-cancer, anti-microbial, immunostimulation and hypoglycemic activities
(Cohen et al., 2002) (Fig. 1). Many higher Basidiomycetes mushrooms (Grifola frondosa,
Lentinula edodes, Schizophyllum commune, Coriolus versicolor, Pleurotus ostreatus and
Ganoderma lucidum) and Saccharomyces cerevisiae contain bioactive polysaccharides in its
fruiting bodies, mycelium and broth culture (Wasser, 2002).

To be clear I'm not trying to come across as Mr. Scientist in the know -- I'm learning more about this stuff too -- but here's some more interesting info about these fungal polysaccharides, which I've learned are used as a prebiotic (which is essentially food for probiotic bacteria in simple terms).

"Polysaccharides are prebiotic substances which are boosting the immune responses,
resistance to pathogens and growth performance of fish and crustaceans (Bai et al., 2015;
Ringo et al., 2010; Mohan et al.,2016). Prebiotics are defined as indigestible dietary components that are utilized by specific health-promoting bacteria. These bacteria are considered beneficial to the health and growth of the host by reducing the occurrence of intestinal pathogenic microbes (Roberfroid, 1993; Gibson and Roberfroid, 1995; Gibson, 1998; Manning and Gibson, 2004). Fungal polysaccharides activate the innate immune system in two ways, by direct method and by improving the growth of intestinal microbiota.”

And their conclusion:
Highlights
-- The potential uses of fungal polysaccharides (prebiotics) on fish and shrimp aquaculture was investigated.
-- Dietary supplementation of fungal polysaccharides can enhance growth and innate immune responses of fish and shrimp.
-- Dietary supplementation of fungal polysaccharides can enhance the ability of fish and shrimp to resist the microbial infection.

Another interesting study -- The Role of Prebiotics and Probiotics in Aquaculture (http://www.global-engage.com/life-science/prebiotics-probiotics-synbiotics-aquaculture/) also points out that prebiotics like fungal polysaccharides can be used to offset some potential down-sides of large scale use of probiotics -- which RD. RD. touches upon in his well-known thread about probiotics: https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/...robiotics-in-aquaculture.536531/#post-6415196

This approach of balancing prebiotics and probiotics is called "synbiotics", and it could be one of the best ways going forward to get away from use of antibiotics and harmful chemicals:
"Work using Pangasianodon hypopthalmus as a model and live yeast as probiotic, combined with selected prebiotics, showed improved growth performance, digestibility of diets containing high soybean protein and fish health, compared to yeast used alone."

One big problem though as the study points out is the higher cost of prebiotics -- so until this changes one shouldn't expect to find GLP in any cheaper, lower quality fish foods.

Last edited:
Reactions: Coryloach and RD.

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Maybe can soak the pellets in Vitagen or yakult lol
Ha ha, or even better how about hot dog juice ;) lol!

Kidding aside, thankfully though these pellets are already complete enough and they really don't need to be soaked in anything -- results speak for themselves as far as I'm concerned, and my Aros LOVE the stuff, plain and simple :) .

Yes, Sianlon pellets are made in Malaysia -- home of the world's best Gold Xbacks that blow Singaporean bred Xbacks away -- and we all know that Singaporean Aro peeps are super jealous of this fact, but c'mon bro, it's really no reason to continue cracking kinda lame jokes about this food, imho it's better than anything else I see coming out of other countries in the region (incl. Singapore).

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: RD.

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
Ha ha, or even better how about hot dog juice ;) lol!

Kidding aside, thankfully though these pellets are already complete enough and they really don't need to be soaked in anything -- results speak for themselves as far as I'm concerned, and my Aros LOVE the stuff, plain and simple :) .

Yes, Sianlon pellets are made in Malaysia -- home of the world's best Gold Xbacks that blow Singaporean bred Xbacks away -- and we all know that Singaporean Aro peeps are super jealous of this fact, but c'mon bro, it's really no reason to continue cracking kinda lame jokes about this food, imho it's better than anything else I see coming out of other countries in the region (incl. Singapore).
Honestly nothing to be jealous, sg and Malaysia are like siblings.. I also prefer the darker gold of Malaysia xb as compared to the lighter gold of sg but some people prefer the lighter gold because it looks like gold bar while the darker Malaysian xb is more copper color

Food wise I just try different types till I feel I got the one the fishes like most... but since the post was about prebiotics then vitagen and yakult comes to mind lol

My bichirs and indo tigers like some China made pellets... cichlids like a certain hikari pellet

The gar don't mind hikari tropical sticks but never eaten the carnisticks

To me there is no best food but only food that fish likes best

The grandsumo is a good example

Oh ya not sure if your hotdog juice is said in jest but I do fish for gar, redtail catfish and even rohu with hotdog

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Honestly nothing to be jealous, sg and Malaysia are like siblings.. I also prefer the darker gold of Malaysia xb as compared to the lighter gold of sg but some people prefer the lighter gold because it looks like gold bar while the darker Malaysian xb is more copper color

Food wise I just try different types till I feel I got the one the fishes like most... but since the post was about prebiotics then vitagen and yakult comes to mind lol

My bichirs and indo tigers like some China made pellets... cichlids like a certain hikari pellet

The gar don't mind hikari tropical sticks but never eaten the carnisticks

To me there is no best food but only food that fish likes best

The grandsumo is a good example

Oh ya not sure if your hotdog juice is said in jest but I do fish for gar, redtail catfish and even rohu with hotdog
Fish food discussions are worse than politics and religion :ROFL::nilly:
All opinions are educational though. I agree... really no best food.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
I think they are ok as long as they are not about hotdogs!
Chili dogs ???? Who doesnt like a good chili dog. I heard the chili helps with internal parasites :grinno:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store