Ohio Fish Rescue nitrate test

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
I'm not knocking them in any means about what they do or how they do it.
I am being the devils advocate here though with the test.
1. he didnt shake bottle 2 on camera. Not shaking bottle 2 enough will cause an incorrect reading (low).
2. If all the systems are linked they just did a 58,000 gal water change by hooking everything up to the pond.
I know they "cycled" the pool. We have no idea what they used to cycle the pond or how. No idea what the params were before the pond got put "online".
The solution to pollution is dilution!
Just pointing out what the haters could/would/will say. If you (ofr) are going to post stuff like this you need to cover the options/variables.
Imho this test is probably faulty. I hope its that clean as I want them to be able to truly say to the haters "SUCK IT!":headbang2

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
I've forgotten to shake bottle number 2 or not shaken it enough quite a few times, and by the 3rd or 4th drop, it comes out real slow or just stops because the particles were too clumped up.

Reactions: twentyleagues

Sanman

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2016
If I remember big rich filled the pool back up with water changes from the rest of the fish room

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
I have used both API and Salifert nitrate test kits. Salifert provides more consistent results because it uses powder for the second reagent, thereby eliminating the need for shaking. API requires vigorous shaking of the second reagent to attain uniform concentration. But over time, as the second reagent is used up unevenly, even vigorous shaking won't correct the results.

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
He said he runs a DRIP system on all his tanks. I also see a bog filter...
In my opinion the haters will hate but I believe those tests based on what I saw. Plus that swimming pool looks empty compared to the majority of fish tanks on here.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
He said he runs a DRIP system on all his tanks. I also see a bog filter...
In my opinion the haters will hate but I believe those tests based on what I saw. Plus that swimming pool looks empty compared to the majority of fish tanks on here.
That is probably a huge drip system. The bog filter probably helps but it's not very big for the volume of water. I have a ton of pothos plants in my system and floating plants and aquarium plants and other plants pulling nitrate or ammonia out of the water, plus I do around 250g water change every week my nitrates are higher then that.
If I remember big rich filled the pool back up with water changes from the rest of the fish room
If thats true then that is awesome. But if it was fresh water that will allow those test results.
Again I am just playing devils advocate. I like what he does and how and why. I hope those tests are accurate for the fishes sake and to shut up the haters.

Reactions: jaws7777

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
I have a ton of pothos plants in my system and floating plants and aquarium plants and other plants pulling nitrate or ammonia out of the water, plus I do around 250g water change every week my nitrates are higher then that.
Do you have a picture?

Yes, he hasn't shared the rate of the DRIP system for us to calculate the rate of water exchange....I'd assume they consider it enough...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store