Rtc and tsn

Droptopwop

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 16, 2018
London, ON
Could a rtc and a tsn survive year round in a out door pond ? I live in London ontairo Canada just out of curiousniss

Rollokola

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2018
I don’t know how your winters are but according to this chart: https://www.currentresults.com/Weat...aces/london-temperatures-by-month-average.php

You have cold winters. Seeing as they are both temperate to tropical fish, they wouldn’t make it a whole winter at 4 deg. celsius. I don’t think they can adapt to ”shut down” like most cold climate fish do during the winter. Also, an outdoor pond will need to be pretty deep in cold places to avoid bottomfreezing.

Droptopwop

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 16, 2018
London, ON
Yea that's what I figured r coldeset winter since I've been alive is -45-50 I'm doing a indoor pond for them was just wondering if they actually could if you had a 100f deep lol

Rollokola

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2018
Yea that's what I figured r coldeset winter since I've been alive is -45-50 I'm doing a indoor pond for them was just wondering if they actually could if you had a 100f deep lol
The depth doesn't matter much when it comes to temperature, more so when it comes to freezing. If it's a deep pond, that just means there's a body of water large enough that the outside temp can't consistently cool the water to freezing temperatures. As soon as the water reaches 4 degrees celsius, that water will "sink" to the bottom because 4 deg. Water has the highest density. So, the bottom will always be 4C if the water is cooled down that far.

Droptopwop

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 16, 2018
London, ON
And I'm guessing the cost to heat a pond out side would be the cost of a house lol it goes to show how different people's set ups have to be it crazy

Reactions: Rollokola

Rollokola

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2018
And I'm guessing the cost to heat a pond out side would be the cost of a house lol it goes to show how different people's set ups have to be it crazy
You guessed it. With a closed lid and great isolation, you can get away with a lot, but you're still looking at a pretty hefty sum for a pond large enough for rtc and tsn.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store