juvenile senegalus not eating

pennyg

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2019
Central Ohio
hello. I got a 2-3 inch senegalus from lfs last week and for first few days it was eating every day, i fed 2x a day like they were at store, shrimp pellets, frozen brine shrimp. I also got carnivore pellets. since the night I offered the carnivore pellet though it hasn't eaten. that was 3 nights ago. brine shrimp didn't temp it nor was the shrimp pellet touched last night.
i have read a couple of posts talking about cut up shrimp or tilapia. I was wondering if there's a particular way to prepare other foods to offer. tia for any advice. i can post tank parameters if needed.

Reactions: tlindsey

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
It probably isnt used to the carnivore pellets and is being picky.

You can offer small pieces of chopped tilapia along with the pellets. Omega one Shrimp pellets are fine btw

Bohica

Feeder Fish
Apr 12, 2018
Western Ky.
I've raised several on carnivore pellets. But of several brands I have tried only the massivore pellets were taken readily. For your juveniles you will have to break the pellets into bite size pieces. I would suggest using the massivore pellets after fasting them for 2 to 3 days. What substrate are they on BTW?

Reactions: tlindsey and pennyg

pennyg

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2019
Central Ohio
I am using a very fine gravel, or course sand. I think it was labeled 1 to 3 mm sized grains? I thought I had a pic of the bag but I can't find it. It came out of its favorite hiding place this morning and had a little bit of thawed brine shrimp. I just get a little nervous about it not eating because it is so young.

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
Have you checked your water parameters lately?

I think most people here feed polys only 1x/day even for babies. Then as they get a little bigger most feed every other day. I think this is even more important for CB polys who are likely to eat more than they should. They don't seem to have the off switch dialed as well as their WC friends. :)

pennyg

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2019
Central Ohio
Thanks everyone for your insights. I got tilapia and it is a huge hit with my tiny dinosaur.
My young oscars, severum and chocolate cichlid are thrilled as well hahaha. I feed them a rotation of Hikari cichlid pellets, shrimp pellets and mysis shrimp and occasionally blood worms and now I guess I will be giving them tilapia now and then.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Thanks everyone for your insights. I got tilapia and it is a huge hit with my tiny dinosaur.
My young oscars, severum and chocolate cichlid are thrilled as well hahaha. I feed them a rotation of Hikari cichlid pellets, shrimp pellets and mysis shrimp and occasionally blood worms and now I guess I will be giving them tilapia now and then.
Great to hear that.

Reactions: pennyg and kno4te
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store