VERY IMPORTANT Iridiscent Shark Please help!

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
NO DON'T DO THAT. There are no beneficial bacteria in the actual water. Add substrate or filter media
Good catch!.....and the newly bought fish should start eating in a few days after they settle and calm down a bit.You could try a good quality flake food,small sinking pellets and even live brine shrimp and bloodworms.

Reactions: Matteus

ApexPangasius

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 9, 2019
K krichardson here is a video of my setup!

Oops video didn’t upload I’m just worried they won’t find any of their food as they are very small in a very large open area

image.jpg

I purposefully put no decorations and objects and made it open so they don’t hurt themselves etc and I have less to clean in the future

Will expand to a 300 gallon depending on their sizes in perhaps a year or so!

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Agree with Krich, except I'd add any non-live (frozen or freeze-dried) bloodworms or brine shrimp, etc. to the list.

They are animals. They know how to forage for feed. If they are not doing it yet, they have no appetite either because they are still adjusting to the new tank and water or they are under some other stress. They should start feeding in the first week if all is good. 1" indeed is tiny, I'd be worried about them not feeding too.

Perhaps they improved or changed the way they make canister filters now but when I used to use them, there should have been a minimum of a drop in the water level between the tank and the canister. IDK how well yours will be functioning standing on the same level and your stock pond.

Reactions: moe214

WalksWIthGobies

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2018
ames,iowa
Hello so at the moment I’m doing a clean out of 300 gallon, I just bought 3 albino Iridiscent sharks to grow out in it but at the moment have to keep them in my 5 gallon for 1 more day before I can move them in. Will their growth be stunted by having had spent two days in the 5 gallon, they are only 1 inch and are very tiny, I bought them as they were being housed in a tank with a 7 inch albino who could probably swallow them whole. Please let me know! And yes I know I will move them to a bigger tank later the 300 is just to grow them out so they can go in my pond.
Fish aren't stunted by being in a small tank, they will grow to the size their genes instruct them to.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Reactions: Matteus
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store