Good pellet food

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
One difficulty I do have is recognizing what ingredients my fish need and what is just cheap filler. Going through the samples that I got from Supercichlid.com, I finally found one that they like. It is NLS Probiotix, which seems like a gimmick, because how could you even maintain a probiotic culture in a pellet food? But the rest of the ingredients look good, and all of my fish eat it.
Probiotics have been used in fish food for quite a few years, and there are many scientific studies that show the benefits of use (as well as possible negative points of over-use). Insofar as manufacturing of pellets and maintaining the cultures: "....heat-inactivated versions have been shown to retain benefits for the host." (http://www.global-engage.com/life-science/prebiotics-probiotics-synbiotics-aquaculture/), so if done properly it's not much of an issue I'd guess.

When I feed fish foods with probiotics to my large Flowerhorn in bare bottom tank I can easily see he has less waste compared to foods that don't contain them. That said I try to feed a balance of both types.

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
which seems like a gimmick, because how could you even maintain a probiotic culture in a pellet food?
It's heterotrophic bacteria. They resist drying, unlike nitrifying bacteria.

Hikari is full of fillers. It's like feeding yourself burgers every day....I like them too....the burgers, not the fish food.

Fish will in time respond to New life spectrum in the same manner.
My clown loaches turned up their noses to market shrimp and mussels, so go figure...It's a matter of fish getting used to particular foods, not the taste of the food. New life spectrum has more natural fish food in those pellets than hikari. Perhaps your fish are carbohydrate addicts and like the wheat.

My denison barbs below are nearly 3 years old. I got them as colorless juveniles. They grew up on New Life Spectrum only.

The first 2 pictures are mine, the 3rd one is someone else's denison barbs..See the color difference?

Pond Fish.jpg

Denison Barbs2.jpg

Denison Barbs5.jpg

Cardeater

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2018
Bug bites are junk as RD explained in his link.

If you wanna feed BSL, Northfin is way better.

Black Soldier Fly Larvae Meal, Whole Antarctic Krill Meal (Euphausia Superba), High DHA Omega-3 Herring Meal, Whole Sardine Meal, Wheat Flour, Organic Kelp (Laminariales), Spirulina, Garlic (Allium Sativum), Astaxanthin, Montmorillonite Clay, Vitamin A Acetate, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate, Cholecalciferol, Alpha-tocopherol Acetate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Super Cichlids, Niacin, Pantothenic Acid, Thiamine, Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Biotin, Choline Chloride, Cobalt Sulfate Ferrous Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Selenium, Zinc, Rosemary Extract (Rosmarinus Officinalis)

I like the samples from Super Cichlids also plus I know their customer service is excellent. I had an issue with an order (it can happen with anyone) but they went out of their way to make it right (and it certainly cost them money in shipping and product) but I'll be giving them more business in the future.

On a sidenote, I haven't been to their site in awhile because I probably have 2+ years of food stocked up but I noticed they just started carrying freeze dried bloodworms.

One more note: they sell many of their products through their Amazon and eBay accounts in addition to their website. I just mention this because TMobile had an eBay $5 coupon for their TMobile Tuesday promos last month and I used it to order food from their eBay front. I'd use the Amazon front bc I get extra credit card points from getting Amazon gift cards. I'm filled up on food so I probably won't order again till Black Friday

Reactions: RD. and DRC

Cardeater

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2018
Like the others said, I think it's worth the effort to get them on better food. It can be difficult bc a lot of the poorer quality foods can be more palatable for the fish. For example, they went nuts over Sinking Carnivore. All the fish loved it's soft texture but I decided I'm no longer feeding foods with a lot of filler.

In fact, I have three big bottles of Tetra fish food that I stopped feeding last year. The jars just sit on these plastic covers to make sure the fish cant jump out by accident.

DRC

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2018
Bug bites are junk as RD explained in his link.

If you wanna feed BSL, Northfin is way better.

Black Soldier Fly Larvae Meal, Whole Antarctic Krill Meal (Euphausia Superba), High DHA Omega-3 Herring Meal, Whole Sardine Meal, Wheat Flour, Organic Kelp (Laminariales), Spirulina, Garlic (Allium Sativum), Astaxanthin, Montmorillonite Clay, Vitamin A Acetate, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate, Cholecalciferol, Alpha-tocopherol Acetate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Super Cichlids, Niacin, Pantothenic Acid, Thiamine, Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Biotin, Choline Chloride, Cobalt Sulfate Ferrous Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Selenium, Zinc, Rosemary Extract (Rosmarinus Officinalis)

I like the samples from Super Cichlids also plus I know their customer service is excellent. I had an issue with an order (it can happen with anyone) but they went out of their way to make it right (and it certainly cost them money in shipping and product) but I'll be giving them more business in the future.

On a sidenote, I haven't been to their site in awhile because I probably have 2+ years of food stocked up but I noticed they just started carrying freeze dried bloodworms.

One more note: they sell many of their products through their Amazon and eBay accounts in addition to their website. I just mention this because TMobile had an eBay $5 coupon for their TMobile Tuesday promos last month and I used it to order food from their eBay front. I'd use the Amazon front bc I get extra credit card points from getting Amazon gift cards. I'm filled up on food so I probably won't order again till Black Friday
Speaking of Supercichlid discounts, I also found a link on their site that verifies and provides a discount code to active duty military and veterans.

Reactions: RD.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
It is NLS Probiotix, which seems like a gimmick, because how could you even maintain a probiotic culture in a pellet food?
They use a cold re-extrusion process to ensure that the bacteria remains viable, and they test each batch post extrusion. They are also the only company that I am aware of that utilizes this technique.

I wrote a sticky on this subject several yrs ago, you might be interested in reading that as well.

Reactions: islandguy11 and DRC

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
Since we are on the topic of food... out of curiosity... what do you all think about this food.

It's not a branded food but it does not dirty the water and is the only type of pellets that my ITs (3 out of 5) will eat

This food is mainly for bottom feeders and I am considering on feeding my rays with it too since it has no color enhancers, natural or otherwise. Hope I am not wrong

20190517_234630.jpg

20190517_234618.jpg

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Cereals and pea meal, not so good. What is dried grass? I'm assume the corn starch is the binder.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store