Good pellet food

DRC

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2018
I probably go overboard on searching for the “best” of everything. “Best” filtration, “best” substrate, “best” water conditioner, etc. But at least for me, that’s part of the fun of the hobby. So now, I’m trying to find the best food for my fish (Sunfish, perch, bullhead catfish). They have pretty much grown up on Omega One cichlid pellets, but now that they’re bigger, I switched them to Hikari Carnivore, which they go nuts for. But since I’m never satisfied and I had heard all these great things about brands like New Life Spectrum and North Fin, I decided to try a jar of New Life Spectrum. Total waste, my fish just watch it drop to the bottom of the tank and don’t even acknowledge that it is food. I was happy to find SuperCichlid.com carried some of these high end brands and sold sample sizes, so I didn’t need to invest a lot to try various foods. But my fish have either ignored or spit out every type of New Life Spectrum, North Fin, and another brand Cobalt that they threw into my order free just to try. So I would like to know 1. What do y’all think is the “best” food for N. Americans 2. Do you think even pellet raised N. Americans are pickier than “normal “ aquarium fish about their food 3. Do you think brands like Omega One and Hikari add anything in particular to get such a good feeding response?

Bertie07

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2017
London
I feed my fish NLS and they love it, although they would eat anything. IMO omega one is a good food and if your fish like it I would feed it. I’ve heard quite a lot about people’s fish not liking NLS but all the fish I’ve had love it. I don’t think they’re is a best fish food and I think that a varied diets of different pellets, frozen and sometimes live such as bloodworms and brine shrimp is the key to a healthy fish so if you can give a varied diet that is better than one fish food.

Reactions: tlindsey and DRC

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
Like someone else said once, my fish eat what I feed them...
I've fed exclusively New Lie Spectrum for years, even trained my wild caught hillstream loaches on it. Lately I tried Northfin as well. Fish wait with gaping mouths for any of them..
The only time there's been a problem with spitting is when one feeds too big pellets that can't be gulped at once...NLS and North fin pellets are hard. I switched my betta from 1mm to 0.5mm ones and he stopped spitting....

Variety isn't always the way to go. You can eat 3 different types of bread, which isn't much of a variety...Quality of the ingredients is what is important....

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Raised on NLS ……..

Sounds to me like your fish have simply become accustomed to certain textures and taste. Training tip of the day - don't feed for a few days, let the fish get hungry. Pre-soak the pellets in frozen blood worm juice, which will allow the pellets to soften up, which will increase overall palatability. The added smell from the BW should trigger a feed response in a healthy fish. Feed once in the AM, while fish are most hungry. Rinse, and repeat, until the fish are eating what you decide to feed them, then slowly wean them off of the pre-soak until the food is 100% dry.

My fish eat anything & everything that I offer them. A hungry fish is a healthy fish.

Good luck

Mitchell The Monster

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 5, 2016
Georgia
Wardley ftw.
Heck yeah, look at these top of the line ingredients from one of their foods.
Fish Meal, Brewer'S Dried Yeast, Ground Dried Spirulina, Wheat Flour, Rice Flour, De-Hulled Soybean Meal, Fish Oil, Ground Dried Spinach, Soy Protein Isolate, Corn Gluten Meal, Wheat Gluten Meal, Potato Starch

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Heck yeah, look at these top of the line ingredients from one of their foods.
Fish Meal, Brewer'S Dried Yeast, Ground Dried Spirulina, Wheat Flour, Rice Flour, De-Hulled Soybean Meal, Fish Oil, Ground Dried Spinach, Soy Protein Isolate, Corn Gluten Meal, Wheat Gluten Meal, Potato Starch
LOL,made ya look!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store