Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA

Fishy-Botany

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2016
At my work I've seen a 2inch one beat up a 6 inch Jardini. until the Jardinis fins got so bad we moved it to its own tank. They also are able to hold their ground at any size against full grown oscars and managuense cichlids.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
So all these guys are murderers?
What did the pretty dorado do? :)

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
I seem to be the oddball. Everyone I kept wasn't a issue. They were like blochii for me.

thebiggerthebetter

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
So all these guys are murderers?
What did the pretty dorado do? :)
You know better than me :) It's not described as a nuisance fish in a community for nothing.

I seem to be the oddball.
And have a knack for stating the obvious. :)

Seriously, thanks, Moe. I am glad to learn of exceptions. The nature of their tank mates is of crucial importance, it would seem. You likely merely lucked out without knowing it ;)

Reactions: moe214

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
You know better than me :) It's not described as a nuisance fish in a community for nothing.

And have a knack for stating the obvious. :)

Seriously, thanks, Moe. I am glad to learn of exceptions. The nature of their tank mates is of crucial importance, it would seem. You likely merely lucked out without knowing it ;)
I do consider the fact I always had wolves or cichlids with them. With the wolves my experience was as expected each time, wolves always give anything new a nip ime, usually all it takes then the two ignore eachother. With my curu only the wyckii and odoe fought back from everything I kept with it. With cichlids, the USD cat held his own with them, namely buttikoferi, jag cichlid, jack Dempsey, Texas, red devil, and I'm sure I'm forgetting some, at different times ofcourse, most specimens (of the cats) grew to around 8" for me then slowed. The only cichlids that got 10"+ with them were jaguar cichlid and buttikoferi. The others were of equal length but more mass generally. And it stuck to it self mostly when confronted it would flap its body a little and that's was the extent of what occurred. All at different times in my 120. Makes me realize how long I've had this one tank. Lol

thebiggerthebetter

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Fifteen month update. The AUSD catfish has been doing well. Perhaps currently around a foot. A glimpse can be seen here from 50 sec to 60 sec. Most usually it spends 99% of the time upside down, duh, under the pump outlet pipe at the top but because the tank light is on (I have been using it exceedingly seldomly), it is not.

Loco Lucas

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2018
Belgrade Montana
I have 4 feather fin upside down cats... yeah.... they are jerks. They will go into my 210 and fight it out with the bigger fish once I move. Hahhahhaa

thebiggerthebetter

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I have 4 feather fin upside down cats... yeah.... they are jerks. They will go into my 210 and fight it out with the bigger fish once I move. Hahhahhaa
This thread is, of course, about a different USD catfish, Asian USD catfish aka Mystus leucophasis. My thread on synodontis, including three S. eupterus aka feather fins is here: https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/synodontis-quartet-8-12-in-4500-gal.682549/ Both can be unpredictably aggressive, I agree.

thebiggerthebetter

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Nov 2019.

Not much to add in words. I had placed two tiny fish in the jerk tank, a tiger barb and a black skirt tetra, fully expecting that the catfish would eat them sooner or later but it's been several months now and nothing happened. The catfish doesn't seem to feed as much as before but it is still going strong. Almost never leaves its place under the output pipe or in the neighboring vertical corner.

Reactions: Iamfish and kno4te
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store