Tips on wet dry overhead diy filter

Nilsafeller

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2018
High river Alberta Canada
Just looking for tips or opinions on a overhead trickle or DIY pump to hob filter

I bought myself a 1340 GPU pump to make a DIY canister... doing more research I heard lots a bad story's of leaks... so instead of a canister I'm wondering what could come up with for maybe a planter box ontop of tank with pump connected to it filled with sponge and bio and pothos to grow... anyone have any suggestions or done this themselves? I cant find much on it online

Thanks!

FishBeast

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2016
Northwest Washington
www.youtube.com
That is effectively a small sump above your tank which should work very well! Make sure top of tank can support the weight or you can put it in a shelf above. Keep in mind that as water evaporates, the water level will fluctuate in your lowest chamber, in this case the display tank and not the planter box.

Reactions: tlindsey

Nilsafeller

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2018
That is effectively a small sump above your tank which should work very well! Make sure top of tank can support the weight or you can put it in a shelf above. Keep in mind that as water evaporates, the water level will fluctuate in your lowest chamber, in this case the display tank and not the planter box.
Oh yes absolutely! Just was fishing for pics or advice on what was used to make it... like for instance what I said (planter box) could be used ? What modifications would I havto make for the front of box ro spout water into tank.. maybe just a hole with hose on the opposite end on water entrance? Or cut the box front and somehow attach a downward spout?

jeffers

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 11, 2009
southern indiana
I use one myself and yes make sure the tank or shelf can hold the weight. I use a rollermat filter before it goes into the overhead filter. then seachem matrix then back to the tank. make sure if the power goes out it wont put too much water in to flood the display. and you can use a normal bulk head when you drill the planter will be fine. just make sure it is a flat area.

Nilsafeller

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2018
I use one myself and yes make sure the tank or shelf can hold the weight. I use a rollermat filter before it goes into the overhead filter. then seachem matrix then back to the tank. make sure if the power goes out it wont put too much water in to flood the display. and you can use a normal bulk head when you drill the planter will be fine. just make sure it is a flat area.
I was going to hang it off a railing next the the tank... actually sits a few inches above top of tank and was going to be relatively small... just a 30 inch by 6x6 inch or so

Reactions: FishBeast

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden

This thread is in swedish but there are some pics i have taken on two of my showerfilters ive built. Both placed above the tanks and powered by a jebao dcq10000 on each filter.

Reactions: FishBeast

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I use old 20- 40 gallon tanks for this purpose, sometimes on a shelf sometimes in window boxes to help plant growth. Sometimes the water would return straight to tanks, sometimes back to sumps.

the one above is a 20 gal with papyrus and aquatic plants, and also acts as a refugium for shrimp, and sometimes for fry.
below a 40 breeder on a shelf, with papyrus, Pothos and is where I wild put expectant female live bearers, to drop fry in a secure environment

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store