red tail keep sinking/acting dead

skysos

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2019
hi, i got a baby red tail catfish about 2 weeks ago its about 3 inches and i used to keep him with a small ghost knife fish then about a week later i added a baby oscar and pacu thats when i noticed he stopped eating, he would be active at night only, as the days went by he started itching himself with the rocks he lys on the bottom on the tank side ways and i think he is dead but when i tap the glass he becomes active what should i do?

should i move him to another tank away from the oscar who is 4 inches and pacu?
and his acting dead upsidedown normal

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Would check ur water quality first. How big is the tank? Is it cycled? How often are u feeding ? How often are the water changes? The other fish will outgrow the bgk quick by the way. Post some pics.

Reactions: tlindsey

skysos

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2019
Would check ur water quality first. How big is the tank? Is it cycled? How often are u feeding ? How often are the water changes? The other fish will outgrow the bgk quick by the way. Post some pics.
i last fed it 2 days ago, i try to feed it every other day but it wont eat i currently have a 100 gallon and will buy a new and bigger ones soon and yes it is cycled

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
First of all, don't post here. Post in the catfish section.

Second, post pictures. It will be easier for us to tell what is wrong.
It’s already been requested to be moved.

• Haha
Reactions: Dloks

Nilsafeller

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2018
High river Alberta Canada
Scratching is a sign of stress... either water quality... or is unhappy with a recent change in his tank like a new addition... not enough room.. something along those lines... think what you've changed or added/taken away... that'll be the problem most likely

skysos

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2019
hi, i got a baby red tail catfish about 2 weeks ago its about 3 inches and i used to keep him with a small ghost knife fish then about a week later i added a baby oscar and pacu thats when i noticed he stopped eating, he would be active at night only, as the days went by he started itching himself with the rocks he lys on the bottom on the tank side ways and i think he is dead but when i tap the glass he becomes active what should i do?

i have tried to force feed him he wont eat
its been 3 days, my tank in a 100 gallons ik i will get a bigger tank soon

Dloks

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2011
in a car

i have tried to force feed him he wont eat
its been 3 days, my tank in a 100 gallons ik i will get a bigger tank soon
Well it seems like every fish store is selling the Mini Monster Kits. RTC, Oscar, Pacu, and Knife fish. No offense if you have no idea what’s wrong with him under your currently knowledge there’s no chance of any of them making it in your tank. I see these threads every week. Just return or donate all those fishes you bought. Chances are you won’t upgrade. Because if I got a Nickel for every time I heard this....

Reactions: Dee eng

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Welcome to the MFK, Ryaan!

Please test your tank water by a liquid API test kit for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and pH. Also give us the temperature and some indication of the water TDS or hardness.

Until and unless you test your water, we won't be able to help you. Stating "my tank is cycled" doesn't count.

If I had to guess, your ammonia and/or nitrite are in the red zone.

skysos

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2019
Welcome to the MFK, Ryaan!

Please test your tank water by a liquid API test kit for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and pH. Also give us the temperature and some indication of the water TDS or hardness.

Until and unless you test your water, we won't be able to help you. Stating "my tank is cycled" doesn't count.

If I had to guess, your ammonia and/or nitrite are in the red zone.
well it died so.... yea

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store