New to planted tanks and such-135 setup

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Thanks for the advice. Wish i got it before i got started lol. Never thought about an excess of nutrients being a problem but i guess there is a balance to consider.

I guess I'll just order a bunch of plants online cause im having trouble finding val at the stores around me.

Any other tips for accelerating root growth?
Water changes also.

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Heres what ive got so far. Got a big mat of java fern from a lfs, as well as some plants from petco labeled tropica fern, asian water fern, and argentine sword. I plan to plant the back of the tank in valisneria as soon as i get my new filter set up. At that point the fake plant, sponge filters, and heater will go too. Reworked the scape a bit as well. That amethyst took up too much room and the fish wouldnt go inside it lol.
20190211_190548.jpg

Reactions: kno4te and Matteus

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
Looks good so far. Neat to watch you do this. I was about to start a thread like this, but I feel like you have already found the answers I was looking for thank you Backfromthedead Backfromthedead .

I just picked up a large flagtail so my bets are my plants most likely won’t make it now:cry:

Reactions: Backfromthedead

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Looking good. If ur going to add any more rooted plants then may need a little more substrate.

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
Looking good but all the plants you selected are slow growers and could get overtaken with algae. You need some stem plants like ludwigia, rotala, or even anacharis in the beginning to export nutrients to give those other plants a chance to take hold. Stem plants are fast growers and good for this purpose. The vallisneria you’re looking to order will also grow quickly.

Also, ferns should not be buried in substrate as their rhizomes will rot and die back. Their rhizomes need to be glued or tied to driftwood or rocks. Please read about java ferns.

Reactions: Backfromthedead

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Looking good but all the plants you selected are slow growers and could get overtaken with algae. You need some stem plants like ludwigia, rotala, or even anacharis in the beginning to export nutrients to give those other plants a chance to take hold. Stem plants are fast growers and good for this purpose. The vallisneria you’re looking to order will also grow quickly.

Also, ferns should not be buried in substrate as their rhizomes will rot and die back. Their rhizomes need to be glued or tied to driftwood or rocks. Please read about java ferns.
Whoa thanks this makes sense. I will relocate the fern to the rock pile. Will the fern not latch onto the rocks eventually on its own? Ive had that clump in there over two weeks and seems to be branching out a little.

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
I would like some opinions on stocking. My current stock is

1 threadfin acara 6-7"
3 clown loaches 2-3"

Im really looking for a school of dithers that will be A) large enough for the threadfin not to eat B) not eff with my plants C) thrive in 80-82 F D) not nip at the threadfins trailers

Im liking cardinal tetras so far. the threadfin is not particularly voracious and i know theyre good with plants, but still concerned if they are nippy or not.

Reactions: Matteus

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
A few pics of the updated tank. Redesigned and rebuilt the whole setup. I repaired my broken 30x24x20 tank, turning it into a 24x24x20 sump, which i havent really configured yet. Using a current usa sump pump and wave pump. I am keeping fresh for awhile but eventually plan to make this a reef tank down the road. Got some ohko stone to play around with and distributed my java fern amongst them. Taking a trip to the lfs soon to shop for more plants!

20190603_215640.jpg
20190608_120140.jpg
20190608_121619.jpg
20190610_062627.jpg

Reactions: Matteus and kno4te
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store