Help!!

Longli7261

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 11, 2019
Thank you for your comments. I have just ordered a 200 gallon tank/stand bundle. I’m sure he’ll be very happy in there!! Can’t wait to get it. I’m sure he’ll feel like he’s been released into the wild! Lol

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Thank you for your comments. I have just ordered a 200 gallon tank/stand bundle. I’m sure he’ll be very happy in there!! Can’t wait to get it. I’m sure he’ll feel like he’s been released into the wild! Lol
Not to be a downer but the general consensus, at least on this site, is that pacu require an enormous enclosure to live out their lives in. I do admire your desire to upgrade the living situation, but most of the "successful" pacu keepers ive seen keep them in ponds or tanks of several thousand gallons. These are massive fish once they reach maturity and are actually capable of destroying all but the sturdiest 200 gallon tanks from the inside out when they put on some size.

I recommend looking up thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter tanks as well as pacu mom pacu mom to give you some idea.

Good luck with the pacu!

TheReefer

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2019
Pennsylvania
Well great news...I’ve decided to get a MUCH larger tank for my favorite fish! I’ll get to keep him after all. Thank you all for your advice and comments!! I’ll keep you all posted.
You should probably go for something closer to 72"x36"x24" or around 300 gallons as 200 gallons will be a bit of a tight fit as they can hit 24 inches. But it's great that you will be able to keep him for a lot longer, possibly life if he stays within the 12-18 inch range.

Reactions: mattybecks

Longli7261

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 11, 2019
Hopefully this will extend the time I have with him. Putting him in a pond in my area is out of the question because of freezing winters that seem to last for 9 months out of the year. (Exaggeration but close) I received this guy when he was a fry by mistake so he was free. Then he became my favorite. If I can get a few good years with him I’ll consider myself blessed!!

TheReefer

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2019
Pennsylvania
Hopefully this will extend the time I have with him. Putting him in a pond in my area is out of the question because of freezing winters that seem to last for 9 months out of the year. (Exaggeration but close) I received this guy when he was a fry by mistake so he was free. Then he became my favorite. If I can get a few good years with him I’ll consider myself blessed!!
Just try to get a bigger tank when you can, if you can't, no big deal unless he breaks 16-18 inches, in which you should upgrade, I would recommend atleast 72"x36"24" as the fish has enough room to swim and turn around fine. Or better yet, get an indoor pond of 1,000 plus gallons and he'll have a blast.

Reactions: mattybecks

mattybecks

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dubai, UAE
Thanks. I’ll try that. I’ll be sad to see him go. He’s such an amazing fish. Right now he’s my favorite!
I had the same problem when I first got into the hobby. They are still one of my favorite fish I have kept, very personable. I hope to able to create a suitable environment so one I can keep them again one day.
Mine landed up living in a koi pond, but died when the winter came and temps dropped. This was many years ago.

Reactions: Matteus

mattybecks

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dubai, UAE

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
You should probably go for something closer to 72"x36"x24" or around 300 gallons as 200 gallons will be a bit of a tight fit as they can hit 24 inches. But it's great that you will be able to keep him for a lot longer, possibly life if he stays within the 12-18 inch range.
24" is a conservative estimate for captive specimens. Properly cared for redbelly pacus can grow much larger. I suspect the 24" max size you often see quoted is due to the overwhelming majority of these fish being kept in cramped conditions.

Besides, a 24" pacu in a 24" tall tank? That would be a pitiful sight. This is a tall-bodied, bulky fish when full grown. A 72x36x24 would be like keeping a person in a closet for the duration of their life.

Im not trying to rain on parades or be too negative or anything and i do agree that the fish will be better off in a 200 vs. A 75. But having seen pacus thrive in proper conditions (usually public aquaria) and very obviously suffering in most other situations, i felt that someone should say it.

Again, to the op, good luck with your fishkeeping. I hope your pacu has a long healthy life.

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
For the record the oldest pacu ever recorded lived in a 75 gallon its entire life. Not that i would necessarily say thats acceptable, but it is interesting. https://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=124361294

Also if you own your home it is not that difficult to have an enclosure for a monster fish, it only becomes difficult and expensive if you want side viewing panels.
The store is probably really slow because people don’t appreciate the cruelty to animals and mistreatment. Wow this guy tortured a big fish for 40 years, let’s all go get one. It’s ok just give it more goldfish.

My grandfather smoked cigarettes and only ate really fatty, deep fried foods for almost 80 years. Guess he must have gotten it right since he’s not dead yet.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store