Dithers Fish

cuongly267

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2014
Philadelphia, PA
In the market for a school of dithers for my Peacock bass tank. I like the Tiger Barbs and Silver Dollars. Looking for something like 3” and under $2.50 each. Any suggestions. My bass are from 2 to 4.5 inches.

Also if Tiger Barbs and Silver Dollars are the only option. What would you pick.

GermanDude

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2014
Berlin
Hi,
the tiger barbs would not live for long, silver dollars are a much better option.
But Metynnis hypsauchen could be eaten anyway, when your bass(es) grow bigger.

Reactions: tlindsey

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
Silver dollars. If I were you I would keep looking in the FS section. Best to get as large as possible. Bass will grow quickly. Faster than the SD's.

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
I would not get silver dollars at all. I would go for some wide bar myleus as they gro big an can live with your cichlas all life long but they cost more then a silverdollar wich will be a snack for a large cichla.

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
I would not get silver dollars at all. I would go for some wide bar myleus as they gro big an can live with your cichlas all life long but they cost more then a silverdollar wich will be a snack for a large cichla.
There was a recent thread where pbass got jaw problem when trying to eat SD. And there are also older posts on this same type of thing (one guy actually had to pull it out of the mouth) So I sort of agree. My SD's are pretty big and as the moment are not a concern. I think the biggest thing to remember for all bass owners is that these fish (and their mouths) grow really big. Some bass more than others. And they will try to eat some pretty big fish! Red hooks and wide bars are great but the OP should know they get very large. I would love to have some but not nearly enough tank space.

Reactions: Tobiassorensen

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
There was a recent thread where pbass got jaw problem when trying to eat SD. And there are also older posts on this same type of thing (one guy actually had to pull it out of the mouth) So I sort of agree. My SD's are pretty big and as the moment are not a concern. I think the biggest thing to remember for all bass owners is that these fish (and their mouths) grow really big. Some bass more than others. And they will try to eat some pretty big fish! Red hooks and wide bars are great but the OP should know they get very large. I would love to have some but not nearly enough tank space.
As soon as i can get my hands on a group of large wide bars im buying em:) im currently growing out a group of 7 thinbars and getting 4 more next weekend. They are about 6.5 inches right now. Same goes with the 4 im picking up.

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
As soon as i can get my hands on a group of large wide bars im buying em:) im currently growing out a group of 7 thinbars and getting 4 more next weekend. They are about 6.5 inches right now. Same goes with the 4 im picking up.
You're the man. You have great aquariums. I like looking at them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store