Prospective 720 pond advice

DirtyPaws949

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2015
Newport Beach
Oh man. If you have a pbass- grab 4 more. They do best in a group of 5 or more typically, odd numbers. But make sure they are waaaay bigger than the oscars mouth. I lost a grow out to my Oscar when I jumped the gun on putting them together.
Ooo everyone I’ve ever seen with them has only had one. They must not be doing it right.
Except for KingDIY that I saw a couple days ago. Since the one is doing well, I can go with getting more. I’ve have him maybe 3-4 weeks. Does it matter what type of peacock bass I get with him? The Lfs I got it from didn’t have the scientific name, so for me it’s a gamble.

The bass will go from the 20gal to the 75gal to the 140gal before ending up in the pond. I’ll experiment with convict fry of similar size before moving them to the 75gal, the largest fish in the 75gal is the smaller JD male and the H Nemurus.

Reactions: Matteus

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
Most pbass can go together as long as they are similar size. There is often squabbling amongst themselves, but that is why it is good to have 5 or more so it is spread out. Check out the chichlas section in the cichlids. There are lots of different threads to check out and some stickies on their care.

THey are such a fun fish once they get 6-8” they start splashing you, then at 1’ they start to get really fun. Very aggressive feeders.

Reactions: Coryloach

DirtyPaws949

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2015
Newport Beach
Most pbass can go together as long as they are similar size. There is often squabbling amongst themselves, but that is why it is good to have 5 or more so it is spread out. Check out the chichlas section in the cichlids. There are lots of different threads to check out and some stickies on their care.

THey are such a fun fish once they get 6-8” they start splashing you, then at 1’ they start to get really fun. Very aggressive feeders.

They sound very fun and they’re gorgeous! however, I’m still questioning how many “large” fish I could stock in the 720 comfortably. I get very excited about new fish, but need to make better decisions so it doesn’t end up like my 140gal :duh:
1’ of fish is much different than 5’ of fish.
If people say I don’t have the room for 5 of them, I will try to rehome him so he can have PBass comrades.

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
I get very excited about new fish, but need to make better decisions so it doesn’t end up like my 140gal
How many comfortably...a difficult question depending on the point of view...:grinyes:
Think long term, the least fish you have, the easier to keep maintenance wise, the better chance of longer and happier life for the fish, and the better satisfaction for the owner. Having that show fish now is just a point in time, a moment. Keeping healthy fish long term is something completely different, a rewarding experience...Imagine getting up each day, looking into your pond and smile because you've done it right....Instead of cringing and dreading the water changes....that somehow are never good enough and often enough...

Congrats on getting the new pond.

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
It’s hard to see them from above.
Having had a small indoor pond setup for nearly 3 years, I thought the same at the start of having it...However, my fish definitely appreciated not being near any human traffic, i.e. inside the pond not seeing anyone one at all, no windows. You can recognize the improvement by their behavior. I've had some of them way longer than they have been in that pond so I have personally experienced the change.

As far as seeing them, my phone is water resistant and the fish are so relaxed now that when I drop my hands taking a video they just swim around. I have way better view of them now than ever....

Just for DP949 my round pond with no window, a video using my phone...

DirtyPaws949

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2015
Newport Beach
How many comfortably...a difficult question depending on the point of view...:grinyes:
Think long term, the least fish you have, the easier to keep maintenance wise, the better chance of longer and happier life for the fish, and the better satisfaction for the owner. Having that show fish now is just a point in time, a moment. Keeping healthy fish long term is something completely different, a rewarding experience...Imagine getting up each day, looking into your pond and smile because you've done it right....Instead of cringing and dreading the water changes....that somehow are never good enough and often enough...
Yes, I agree completely. I need to keep in mind that I’m getting the pond for the fish I have currently. Something that size seems like maintenance hell if overstocked, and a huge waste of water. It’s not so much the maintenance though, as it would be looking in and seeing how little room they have to spread out.

I’ll hold off on getting more peacock bass.
Is it in the best interest to the one I have currently to
1) keep him indefinitely— I really hate rehoming fish, and I’m very picky about their new homes. I’d much rather get another aquarium for them instead, but If he needs 5 feet of buddies, that’s probably not something I can provide him.
2) keep him til he’s a little more robust and rehome
3) rehome him now while he’s still 1.5-2”

I can always put my current fish in the pond first and wait and see how it goes first.

DirtyPaws949

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2015
Newport Beach
Having had a small indoor pond setup for nearly 3 years, I thought the same at the start of having it...However, my fish definitely appreciated not being near any human traffic, i.e. inside the pond not seeing anyone one at all, no windows. You can recognize the improvement by their behavior. I've had some of them way longer than they have been in that pond so I have personally experienced the change.

As far as seeing them, my phone is water resistant and the fish are so relaxed now that when I drop my hands taking a video they just swim around. I have way better view of them now than ever....

Just for DP949 my round pond with no window, a video using my phone...

What beautiful fish!!
I like staring at them too much to not do the window.
The pond will be outside in the yard, so the only person they will usually see is me, and occasionally someone walking past it to the studio. And dogs when I have them over for daycare (like 5 days a month on average). But my big guys are totally used to them and don’t pay them any attention. Before my pitbull passed away, they saw dogs every day since I got them, since the tank is in my bedroom.

DirtyPaws949

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2015
Newport Beach
I think I found a little bit of a solution for heating the tank and keeping the fishes warmer.
Since I’m already going to build a wood facade around it, I can add some high-density insulation between the wood and the fiberglass on 3 sides to help stabilize the temps and keep my guys warmer.

Matteus Matteus take a peek at the reply I did before the last one, in regards to the best course of action to do with the current baby Pbass. It got buried in my double posting

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
No worries.
It’s all up to you what you want.

720 gal tank is more than big enough for 5 or so pbass- as long as they aren’t temensis- they get to 44”.

If you grow the bass out, you will forget about all your other fish lol. They are such characters once they get some size on them. They might eat you out of house and home though. They have huge appetite, mouths, and are super fast so can out compete most fish for food.

At 2” they are super frail, if you look at it funny it could die. I had 6 in total and 2 are still currently alive. Non have died because of sickness or disease. All have been from bigger fish taking them out. The 2 that are still around are a bit over 1’ and I got them around this time last year. They will most likely make it to full size of 18” I think.

They can be hard to pellet train so it is good to do it while they are small. Also you want them to be similar size or it can get tricky when one falls behind in homing situations.

DirtyPaws949

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2015
Newport Beach
Matteus Matteus

Okay thanks!
So it sounds like right now his best interest would have him stay with me for now. I’d hate to have him get so stressed out in transport and die at this fragile stage. He seems to be doing well right now. When I first got him he would only eat bloodworms and shrimp, but he’s equally as eager to munch on some pellets now, and he’s about the same size or bigger as the convict babies in the 20 gal.

Will he be okay as a solo Pbass, or would you recommend rehoming when he’s a little bit bigger and hardy.

720 gal would be okay for 5 bass, but I’m not sure, since they will be with at least 2 tiger Oscars, 2 pleco, 2 blood parrots, 1-2 Vieja Syns X, and maybe a few pink convicts when they grow out.

Any idea on what he is? Or is it impossible to tell?
54347FF2-C253-428A-93B7-FBBFC3D0BF67.jpeg9926C27F-0633-4552-814F-21E0D3956BC5.jpeg

So many convicts T_T
There’s two pairs with freshly hatched babies in the 75 gal. I might put some into the 20gal as food. The batch that’s in the 20 gal has some pinks, so I’m hesitant to try putting some of the regular colored ones in the 140gal to cull. 50% chance they’re heterozygous for pink.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store