Synodontis Lucipinnis Minimum Group Size

Pile_O_Rocks

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2019
I don’t have this tank yet. I’ll base the tank size on the fish I want. Not the fish in the tank size. What size of fish can they be kept with? Redbreast Acara? What’s the minimum size for them not to eat them?

GermanDude

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2014
Berlin
I think anything bigger than 1/3 of their size is safe to not be eaten.
I had mine with bolivian rams and rainbow fish and no problems at all.
But they like the water on the alkaline side, so don't buy wild caught acaras, which are used to acidic water!
I would not keep these catfish in a tank shorter than 40 inches.
There must be more hides than catfish.

Pile_O_Rocks

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2019
I think anything bigger than 1/3 of their size is safe to not be eaten.
I had mine with bolivian rams and rainbow fish and no problems at all.
But they like the water on the alkaline side, so don't buy wild caught acaras, which are used to acidic water!
I would not keep these catfish in a tank shorter than 40 inches.
There must be more hides than catfish.
I’ve heard that these synodontis in particular are great at adapting other PH and you can go down to PH 7 relatively reliably. Is this true?

GermanDude

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2014
Berlin
There a several species of Synodontis.
Some are from riverine areas but
Synodontis lucipinnis is from lake tanganjica.
I kept them at pH 7.5 and would not go lower.

Reactions: RD.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
IME S. lucipinnis can be a sensitive catfish that I have described in the past as canaries in a coal mine, because if something is off with your water parameters they will often be the first species to show signs of stress. I kept mine at pH 8.0-8.2

Reactions: GermanDude

Pile_O_Rocks

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2019
IME S. lucipinnis can be a sensitive catfish that I have described in the past as canaries in a coal mine, because if something is off with your water parameters they will often be the first species to show signs of stress. I kept mine at pH 8.0-8.2
Would a Neutral PH suit them or would they need more alkali water then? As of now I have a Pygmy Driftwood Catfish which would most likely also have to go in the tank and they like it neutral.

GermanDude

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2014
Berlin
I know a guy kept them at pH 7 and they were flashing very often.
But when he raised the pH to 7.5 , the catfish did not do it anymore.
If you knew, the ones you get are used to that unnatural water chemistry for a long time and act normally, maybe worth a try.
Just to propagate does not always mean fish are doing fine.
Fish kept long term , for several generations, in far from home conditions can thrive, like angelfish, or discus.
But it seems to be healthier, not to stretch borders of tolerance too much.

Pile_O_Rocks

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2019
I know a guy kept them at pH 7 and they were flashing very often.
But when he raised the pH to 7.5 , the catfish did not do it anymore.
If you knew, the ones you get are used to that unnatural water chemistry for a long time and act normally, maybe worth a try.
Just to propagate does not always mean fish are doing fine.
Fish kept long term , for several generations, in far from home conditions can thrive, like angelfish, or discus.
But it seems to be healthier, not to stretch borders of tolerance too much.
Do you think it would be safer to keep my woodcat at a higher ph or the Lucipinnis at a lower one?

GermanDude

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2014
Berlin
I never kept woodcats but generally fish are more adaptable to different water conditions, the bigger the area where they can be found in the wild and the longer their ancestors have been bred in captivity.
Just asking the vendor what his water parameters are like is what I always did, before ordering fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store