Synodontis Lucipinnis Minimum Group Size

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
Whilst one of the "social" synodontis, i would expect that it's still going to come down to decor, tank size and sex of the fish. 3 should be happy enough as a small group IMO in a tank where they can still squabble and "get a quiet" place if they want. Even social fish fall out sometimes although much of the chasing with lucipinnis appears to be social and playful.

GermanDude

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2014
Berlin
I would go for at least 5 of them, they are very social.
I kept eight, some years ago and I think they are more confident in groups and don' t hide so much.
At least when they have grown a little.

Reactions: RD.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
I had 4 and they were fine. I got 4 more and they accepted the new ones almost immediately. Since adding them though they hide more often.

Reactions: RD.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I had 4 and they were fine. I got 4 more and they accepted the new ones almost immediately. Since adding them though they hide more often.
That's interesting. I had a group of 8 wild caught specimens and while they spooked easily from sudden movement, they were out & about most of the time, even though I had plenty of rock work to hide in. They also spawned for me several times while I had them.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
That's interesting. I had a group of 8 wild caught specimens and while they spooked easily from sudden movement, they were out & about most of the time, even though I had plenty of rock work to hide in. They also spawned for me several times while I had them.
No spawning yet...that I know of. I think they are all to young yet. I know the new 4 are for sure.

Pile_O_Rocks

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2019
So all things considered would a group of 4 make a bigger difference in activity and happiness. Would the fish be happy in a group of three and just more reserved or do they need more to be happy

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
It's not a case of "happiness", but more of a case of there is safety in numbers, and some species, such as this one, are more gregarious than others.

What size is the tank? What other species are in the tank? How is the tank set up as far as décor? And as Dave pointed out, even the sex of the fish will determine how they get along socially. The larger the group, the better the odds are for getting a reasonable split of m/f fish.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Get as large a group as you can. I've had these and multiple other synos throught my years in the hobby. Multis and petricola and lucipinis are the best for groups and activity. In the tank I currently have my lucipinis I added 4 to the group of 4, got bad news and freaked out and started selling off fish in the preperation for the up coming apocalypse. I pulled all my tetras, African red eye and congos about 2 days later. The 4 accepted the other 4 right away and were swiming in group same day but then I went in and got rid of the tetras now they hide more. Could be no fish above has them scared to come out. My Schoutedeni has been in there the entire time too with no issuse with either but he/she is a little more hesitant now too(it doesnt have to chase the tetras for its snails anymore though). I think the commotion of the tetras did alot to make everyone feel safe now they are gone and the rest are more reclusive. But in think to answer your question 4+ is what ive always done in these and they are fine. Mulitis need odd numbers of 5 or more imo to be happy, or you'll end up with 2.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store