New gar breathing heavy and swimming strangely

SaltyPlum

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 13, 2015
Got a new gar 3 days ago, he's around 9 Inches. Tank mates 2 motoro rays and 5 silver dollars. Tank size is 230g.

The first couple days he seemed fine and kept mostly to himself chilling up at the the top of the tank. He hasn't eaten since ive added him to the tank. However, I know fish normally need a couple days to settle in before they will eat. Today when i came home from work i noticed he was laying on the bottom of the tank under a piece of drift wood. Ive been monitoring the tank closley all night and noticed he is breathing heavily (like gulping) and when he does decide to move around he will dart out real quick and then back up and then twist around and dart out really fast again. He will do this a couple times then lay on the bottom of the tank continuing to gulp and repeat.

All other fish are acting normal and eating fine.

Im a starting to get really concerned as i dont know what to do. When i walk over to the tank to get a good look at him he freezes up and breaths heavier, he freezes up so much that he will even let a ray swim right over the top of him. Its like he tries not to move at all when i get to close to the tank to inspect . When i walk away and watch from a distance he will make move but dart around and swim really oddly. I havent seen him come up to the surface at all since coming home feom work and for the fist 2 days thats all he did was hang out up top at the tank cruising around.

This is my first gar so not sure what i should do. Any advice would be appreciated.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Got a new gar 3 days ago, he's around 9 Inches. Tank mates 2 motoro rays and 5 silver dollars. Tank size is 230g.

The first couple days he seemed fine and kept mostly to himself chilling up at the the top of the tank. He hasn't eaten since ive added him to the tank. However, I know fish normally need a couple days to settle in before they will eat. Today when i came home from work i noticed he was laying on the bottom of the tank under a piece of drift wood. Ive been monitoring the tank closley all night and noticed he is breathing heavily (like gulping) and when he does decide to move around he will dart out real quick and then back up and then twist around and dart out really fast again. He will do this a couple times then lay on the bottom of the tank continuing to gulp and repeat.

All other fish are acting normal and eating fine.

Im a starting to get really concerned as i dont know what to do. When i walk over to the tank to get a good look at him he freezes up and breaths heavier, he freezes up so much that he will even let a ray swim right over the top of him. Its like he tries not to move at all when i get to close to the tank to inspect . When i walk away and watch from a distance he will make move but dart around and swim really oddly. I havent seen him come up to the surface at all since coming home feom work and for the fist 2 days thats all he did was hang out up top at the tank cruising around.

This is my first gar so not sure what i should do. Any advice would be appreciated.

Did you quarantine the new gar?

SaltyPlum

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 13, 2015
Pic attached see how the bottom of his mouth is pushed out. Thats from him breathing. Its like he is gulping.

Right after i took this picture he darted off really quickly spazzing out hitting the glass before backing up and twisting around and darting off again.

20190711_235044.jpg

Reactions: Ulu

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Pic attached see how the bottom of his mouth is pushed out. Thats from him breathing. Its like he is gulping.

Right after i took this picture he darted off really quickly spazzing out hitting the glass before backing up and twisting around and darting off again.

View attachment 1379646

Try not to approach the aquarium fast and suggest give more time to see if it will eat. Gar's are known for the spazzing behavior when their spooked. It will take time for the Gar to get comfortable to you approaching the aquarium.

SaltyPlum

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 13, 2015
Try not to approach the aquarium fast and suggest give more time to see if it will eat. Gar's are known for the spazzing behavior when their spooked. It will take time for the Gar to get comfortable to you approaching the aquarium.
Ok will do. Thanks for the advice

Reactions: Ulu and tlindsey

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Provide some more plants (floating and planted)for coverage and it’ll help to settle the gar down. Gar will lay on the bottom of the tank on occasion. Keep the water clean and do what tlindsey tlindsey has mentioned.

Reactions: LBDave and tlindsey

SaltyPlum

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 13, 2015
Provide some more plants (floating and planted)for coverage and it’ll help to settle the gar down. Gar will lay on the bottom of the tank on occasion. Keep the water clean and do what tlindsey tlindsey has mentioned.
He seems better today, like he isnt spazzing about and breathing as heavy (pic attached), but he hasnt moved from that spot under the plant since i got home 3 hrs ago. I just fed the other fish and he didnt budge!!!

Man, whats up with this gar? I would have thought he would be a lot more happier being in a 230g than a 55g like he was in before.

20190712_210447.jpg

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
He seems better today, like he isnt spazzing about and breathing as heavy (pic attached), but he hasnt moved from that spot under the plant since i got home 3 hrs ago. I just fed the other fish and he didnt budge!!!

Man, whats up with this gar? I would have thought he would be a lot more happier being in a 230g than a 55g like he was in before.

View attachment 1379712

Next time you feed drop food in and back away out of sight.

SaltyPlum

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 13, 2015
Next time you feed drop food in and back away out of sight.
Ok will do. Appreciate the advice.

Don't suppose you know what type of gar I have? I was told he is a spotted gar, but a friend of mine supposedly has a 'spotted gar' and the 2 look completely different. Like mine has more of a splatted pattern look with a long line streak from his gill plates and brown in colour. My friends gar has a really defined spots, no lines or splatted pattern and more silver in colour. Both were bought from the same LFS.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store