Moving with fish

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Great tips! I moved 8 tanks just 6 miles down the road and it was a real chore. Fortunately, I had weeks to get it all done as my kids were taking over the old house.

I could do a couple a weekend for the smaller tanks and pretty much break down, move, set back up and put fish back in same day. Those fish could be bagged up and put in a cooler too.

But, the big 120 had to go in the truck on moving day. I did the same thing as you. Set up a couple tubs a couple days before the move to get the water adjusted and aerated and heaters going, then moved the fish with the filters, sponge filters, and some decor for destressing. I laid the covers over, but could not seal down like you did because I had HOBs running, but put rocks on them to hold in place just to make sure I didn't have jumpers. It was the least stressful way I could think of for the fish. Then we could concentrate on getting everything moved and not be frantic about getting the big tank set back up same day.
Oh i couldnt imagine trying to set the tank up on move in day.
Wow. Great documentation. Cool pics. Love the one with your kid in the tank.

Did you do wc during the move or just keep the same water?
I tried to do wc's every couple of days. Surprisingly i never registered ammonia and nitrates never hit the red

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014

clm08k

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2016
+10000000

thank you for this thread! This is going to help out so many people who are moving their aquariums. Several years ago, I was told to move ALL-or as much as possible-of the water with me when I moved my salt water tank.... So relieved to not have to do this again.

Thank you so much for educating others on how to build/buy things to make fish keeping easier for the humans and the fish!

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
+10000000

thank you for this thread! This is going to help out so many people who are moving their aquariums. Several years ago, I was told to move ALL-or as much as possible-of the water with me when I moved my salt water tank.... So relieved to not have to do this again.

Thank you so much for educating others on how to build/buy things to make fish keeping easier for the humans and the fish!
Ah hommie you dont need to thank me. We share info and improve on what we learn from each other. I picked up allot of this from others on here and FB.

Special thanks to dmcshcoolkid, hao, polyaddict, vancouver, and king el.

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
Man, what a crazy odyssey you went through. Makes me happy I shut down my tank before we moved. Done the whole move and set tank up on the same day with live fish once years ago and couldn't face it again.
Now you've Been in the new house a while how are the fish going, besides the datnoid have the rest survived?
One suggestion Is move this thread to the general aquarium section where more people will see it. I didn't realise you had posted this. I think it will be helpful or confidence building for anyone else crazy enough to attempt such a thing.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store