Moving with fish

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Man, what a crazy odyssey you went through. Makes me happy I shut down my tank before we moved. Done the whole move and set tank up on the same day with live fish once years ago and couldn't face it again.
Now you've Been in the new house a while how are the fish going, besides the datnoid have the rest survived?
One suggestion Is move this thread to the general aquarium section where more people will see it. I didn't realise you had posted this. I think it will be helpful or confidence building for anyone else crazy enough to attempt such a thing.
Thx bud. Yup everyone is doing well. I really cant take the credit for this. Like i said i had allot of input from friends. That said the only thing i would have done differently was to transfer the bio to a couple of large laundry bags. Had i dont that i probably wouldnt have lost the dat.

I dont have the ability to move threads btw

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
I tried to sell off all the fish. But the kids and wife werent having any of it. We also had to move my sons bearded dragon. I powered his heating pad with the inverter. Useful little gadget

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
1. Could you please describe your WC and transition period when you were setting up the polys into the new tank?

2. Where did you get your poly moving net from?

Glad the PBB is okay and the congis! They are worth the extra investments you made.
Just fresh water from the tap. Its pretty close to doing fin level water change. If your on city water then definitely use a dechlorinator. I used a garden hose from the sink out to the car/bin. Buckets work to but... ugh.

Its a swimming pool net. Those large aquarium nets dont cut it. Yeah i would have been sick if i lost the congi's because i half assed it

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
Thx bud. Yup everyone is doing well. I really cant take the credit for this. Like i said i had allot of input from friends. That said the only thing i would have done differently was to transfer the bio to a couple of large laundry bags. Had i dont that i probably wouldnt have lost the dat.

I dont have the ability to move threads btw
I guess the big question is would you do it again if you had to or would you sell everything and start from scratch? I couldn't imagine doing that with kids and 2 nights in a hotel (why 2 nights if you don't mind me asking?)

As for moving the thread to another section maybe a mod could do it? I just think it would be cool for more people to see this, reminds me of the old threads of extreme fish keeping when I was lurking here!

Reactions: Matteus

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
I guess the big question is would you do it again if you had to or would you sell everything and start from scratch? I couldn't imagine doing that with kids and 2 nights in a hotel (why 2 nights if you don't mind me asking?)

As for moving the thread to another section maybe a mod could do it? I just think it would be cool for more people to see this, reminds me of the old threads of extreme fish keeping when I was lurking here!
Honestly, i would move them again. It looks or sounds worse than it really was. Now if they were newer fish i'd probably just sell them off but raising fish from smaller sizes made it harder to part with them. My daughter is really attached to our heterospilus (het is almost as old as she is) and endlicheri, son loves his congicus and pbb, and the wife likes the teugelsi and absolutely adored the pearsei who unfortunately passed away before the move. I wanted to keep the little dat and the dark lap. The only way to make everyone happy was to move the whole damn lot lol.

The only fish i refused to move was the vulture cat. I wasnt sure how he would act if not fed for a week or two.

So the hotel room was needed because we had to line up the closings (old house and new house) the closest we were able to get them was in a two day window.

Oh yeah i agree, and have no issues with a mod moving it. My brain is hardwired to always post in the poly section haha

WOLF2013 WOLF2013
Thx tom i couldnt remember the other member that was planning a fish move

clm08k

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2016
Thank you J jaws7777 , This thread has been super helpful for preparing to take Pinky to the vet who is 2 hours away.

We purchased the 400w car converter (the two outlet feature is nice) and have a 50w hydor heater plugged in. Also purchased a portable USB charging air stone pump. Here is our set up:7679ED25-9986-42CD-A4B1-FA05F918A31D.jpeg2E9A4801-44A5-478C-8846-3BD6C777B1B9.jpeg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store