large sevrum attacks albino knife fish

pred tank

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 7, 2019
so my albino knife fish i just bought hides alot in a cave my large sevrum attacks it. Why does the sevrum attack the knife fish but not the 2 florida gars i have and how di i make it stop. Thanks

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Could be because its albino. Some times color will set off a fish, could be its the new kid on the block and sev is showing dominance. May have to remove the sev for a few days to allow the knife time to acclimate. Or move the decorations around to create new territories. But other then that knives do tend to hide.

IgnatzMcJockel

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2019
Germany
I think it's an dominance thing, too.
Make shure the knife has a place to hide from the sev.
As long as the knife isn't hurten by the sev, i'd wait 1-2 days...i think the situation will calm of.
In my experience, cichlids alwasy want to show the new fish that they are the big fish in the tank^^

pred tank

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 7, 2019
I think it's an dominance thing, too.
Make shure the knife has a place to hide from the sev.
As long as the knife isn't hurten by the sev, i'd wait 1-2 days...i think the situation will calm of.
In my experience, cichlids alwasy want to show the new fish that they are the big fish in the tank^^
cool yeah he has plenty of places to hide also the gars were in the tank first. also seems the gars go up to him trying to eat him untill they realize he is to big. I think it's the albino color the knife fish is the same size as the gars haha

Audaxcity

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2018
Canada
Doubt it's just because it's albino. Sometimes a fish will hate another species with no apparent reason. Eg, my rainbow shark hates mollies but generally leaves similarly coloured tetras alone. Albino populations typically don't last in the wild mostly because they have issues attracting mates and lack of camouflage. But the whole deal with removing the severum and putting him back later to make him more peaceful is less likely to work in this case as you have no other territorial cichlid to take over the tank in its absence. If by now the severum hasn't calmed down and is having a noticeable effect on your knive's behaviour and appearance, I'd suggest you just rehome one of the two.

Reactions: IgnatzMcJockel

pred tank

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 7, 2019
Doubt it's just because it's albino. Sometimes a fish will hate another species with no apparent reason. Eg, my rainbow shark hates mollies but generally leaves similarly coloured tetras alone. Albino populations typically don't last in the wild mostly because they have issues attracting mates and lack of camouflage. But the whole deal with removing the severum and putting him back later to make him more peaceful is less likely to work in this case as you have no other territorial cichlid to take over the tank in its absence. If by now the severum hasn't calmed down and is having a noticeable effect on your knive's behaviour and appearance, I'd suggest you just rehome one of the two.
seems totday i seen the knife come out and the sevrum didn't attack him. Just seems the knife likes to hide alot

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store