Measuring Salinity

Mbargas

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2016
What is the best device for measuring salinity in the lower range? I mean from about 1 ppt to 5 ppt.
I have both a hydrometer and refractometer, but neither one is very precise in the lower range.

Mbargas

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2016
With such a resounding response, I had to do my own inquiry. As all of you know hydrometers and refractometers do a good job with salinity/SG in the higher ranges, but not in the lower ranges. I mean, how would you distinguish between 1 And 2 ppt?
It seems to me that TDS monitors are the answer. There are a number of inexprnive ones hat will measure dissolved solids between 0 and 4999 ppm (4.999 ppt)
Certainly not useful for higher salinities, but much more precise in the lower range.

Reactions: CastellClan007

CastellClan007

Feeder Fish
Jul 20, 2019
Hey, I have a question if you still get updates on this old thread... Well, 2 questions.
1: how would I go about finding the appropriate level of TDS for a given salinity?
2: how would I adjust for solids, such as calcium or trace metals, other than nacl that may be dissolved in the water? I have a TDS meter that measures via conductivity, but I'm not sure what & how different things might affect the reading.

I'm glad you posted this, because I've been struggling with how to measure for an F8 Puffer tank I've set up. Was looking at refractometers but was unsure if one calibrated on only one point (which I think is usually at high salinity) would work for an sg of around 1.008.

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hey, I have a question if you still get updates on this old thread... Well, 2 questions.
1: how would I go about finding the appropriate level of TDS for a given salinity?
2: how would I adjust for solids, such as calcium or trace metals, other than nacl that may be dissolved in the water? I have a TDS meter that measures via conductivity, but I'm not sure what & how different things might affect the reading.

I'm glad you posted this, because I've been struggling with how to measure for an F8 Puffer tank I've set up. Was looking at refractometers but was unsure if one calibrated on only one point (which I think is usually at high salinity) would work for an sg of around 1.008.

Welcome aboard
twentyleagues twentyleagues
Gourami Swami Gourami Swami

Reactions: CastellClan007

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I used to use Hach Conductivity/ Salinity meter for judging salinity of 3ppt when treating for ick.
They worked well at low range, don't know todays prices, but I would imagine there are affordable ones, but then again, you always get what you pay for.
For example, buy a cheap heater, get cooked fish. Some things are important enough to spend a few extra bucks for.
Images for Hach conductivity meter

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE

I could of swore I used a refractor back in the day for my F8. Here's an accurate meter though.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I could of swore I used a refractor back in the day for my F8. Here's an accurate meter though.

That looks like a nice unit, especially with the auto calibration.

local hero

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2006
...in my head
Ohaus makes a decent meter for around $65 (Ohaus ST10S).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store