Cb ansorgii?

Nim Dibbley

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2010
CA
At the fish store today they had about 40 fish labeled ansorgii Bichir. I didn’t think to take a pic until I left and they were closing the store as I was leaving. They were tiny, maybe 3 inches long. I didn’t know these were bred in captivity. I’ll have to go back and maybe buy one. Has anyone else seen these?

Reactions: tlindsey

RemainVayne

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2017
At the fish store today they had about 40 fish labeled ansorgii Bichir. I didn’t think to take a pic until I left and they were closing the store as I was leaving. They were tiny, maybe 3 inches long. I didn’t know these were bred in captivity. I’ll have to go back and maybe buy one. Has anyone else seen these?
I have one of these CB ansorgii. My understanding is pure ansorgii aren't really CB and they are generally mixed with endli as a hybrid.

The more mine grows, the more it looks like an Endli x Ansorgii mix.

Slowest growing poly I've had BY FAR. Hides in the sand all day and barely eats.

Reactions: kno4te

RemainVayne

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2017
Took a Pic of my guy tonight so you could compare at your LFS. Not the best shot, but like I said, he's a hider so he's not always cooperating...

Nim Dibbley

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2010
CA
I have one of these CB ansorgii. My understanding is pure ansorgii aren't really CB and they are generally mixed with endli as a hybrid.

The more mine grows, the more it looks like an Endli x Ansorgii mix.

Slowest growing poly I've had BY FAR. Hides in the sand all day and barely eats.
I wonder why the slow growth? Thanks for the info. I’ll try to get back to the lfs this week and pick one up. Or at least get a pic.

RemainVayne

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2017
I wonder why the slow growth? Thanks for the info. I’ll try to get back to the lfs this week and pick one up. Or at least get a pic.
My guess is probably genetics. I've had 3 CB endlis. 1 died from what I'm sure are poor genetics because he only ever got about 6" and struggled to swim. The other 2 that are living have also reached about 6" but don't seem to be growing any longer. One of them has the absolute most crooked spine that I'm shocked he can move around at all.

Nim Dibbley

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2010
CA
Maybe the same lfs. I didn’t think they looked that bad on Sunday but I just didn’t have time to really look at them.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Allot of cb's will end up with deformities and allot wont. It all depends on genetics.

Some look fine for a while then developw them later on and some do not. Really is a role of the dice. If the price isnt too high try one out.

Nim Dibbley

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2010
CA
Picked one up. This one was in a separate tank and a little bigger than the rest. Also had less of a froggy looking face. Hopefully I don’t see the slow growth otters have talked about.

84C019D8-8856-4A16-9172-ED868F7079E6.jpeg

88E355D9-2490-4715-A3A2-675E29DC0654.jpeg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store