How to get rid of diatoms on pygmy chain sword

SandNukka15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2010
Towanda PA
Nerites are not exactly the best algae eating snails, they are only popular because they don't breed in FW and they look pretty. The BN I would expect to eat the algae, but I wouldn't risk starving him, because he may choose to chew holes in all your plants. Judging by my experience of what fish and snails are willing to eat, I'd say diatoms are the least tasty algae.
markstrimaran markstrimaran did some experiments with various LED colors and found that algae types have very specific light color needs; maybe changing the color with a piece of plastic under the light would help ???
Nerites do eat diatoms and how would I be starving the bristlenose?

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
Nerites do eat diatoms and how would I be starving the bristlenose?
Like I said, it is a bad idea. He may decide he likes the salad bar, but if you want to, just stop feeding the tank. I personally would try changing the light up and cleaning every spot I could fnd for a couple of weeks first.
I also heard once about 2 short day-periods of light, say 5light-2dark-5light-12dark rather than 12 light-12dark can help.
plantedtank.net forum has a lot of people who are really knowledgeable about this stuff. You may also want to ask them. I am really no expert, just telling you what I've seen and heard.

SandNukka15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2010
Towanda PA
Like I said, it is a bad idea. He may decide he likes the salad bar, but if you want to, just stop feeding the tank. I personally would try changing the light up and cleaning every spot I could fnd for a couple of weeks first.
I also heard once about 2 short day-periods of light, say 5light-2dark-5light-12dark rather than 12 light-12dark can help.
plantedtank.net forum has a lot of people who are really knowledgeable about this stuff. You may also want to ask them. I am really no expert, just telling you what I've seen and heard.
What's a bad idea?.... what are you talking about lol I never said I was gonna stop feeding.

My lights are on 8 hrs a day no where near 12 hrs

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
What's a bad idea?.... what are you talking about lol I never said I was gonna stop feeding.

My lights are on 8 hrs a day no where near 12 hrs
Well you asked how to starve a bristlenose.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Not much to think of but can try an algae scrubbers.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store