Dragon Goby ID...

Dragon cqzzzzz<

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Illinois
A study of the stomach conents of the violet goby, Gobioides broussonnetii, (a very similar species) revealed that a large portion of their diet was composed of algae. Therefore I would assume that this species (especially when young) also eats algae. As they mature, they're be more likely to eat small fish and invertebrates.
I can't think of any specific method of getting a fish to eat pellets though. My violet goby never did, so I just went on to bloodworms.

Also, when it swims into the corner, does it go up the side and poke its head out of the water? That would indicate discomfort, possibly poor water quality or low oxygen levels. If it's sticking its head in the corner and biting the glass, it could be eating algae. Otherwise, it might just be looking for a partially closed in space to rest. They're burrowers in the wild so caves of some sort would be a good addition to the tank.

harvs95

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2008
A, A
Yeah he swims up the side when he swims into the corner...im not sure if its low o2..i have an airstone in the tank..and he sits beside that thing all day...i think its coz i could have gotten the salt content wrong...hes still tiny so i put him in a 5g grow out...and used 1 table spoon of salt per gallon...is that right? Or was it too little?

Dragon cqzzzzz<

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Illinois
Is the tank cycled? Maybe adding that salt quickly knocked out the bacteria that take care of the nitrogen cycle. If that's the case, ammonia could be building up and that would definitely explain why the fish is doing that. Definitely test the water if you can for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate.
Other than that I don't really think the fish would be doing that over the salt level. To help you in the future though, you should get a hydrometer and make sure you're using artificial marine salt. The hydrometer will allow you to accurately measure the salt level instead of guessing, and the artificial marine salt will simulate the conents of the fish's brackish habitat.

harvs95

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2008
A, A
thanks ^

harvs95

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2008
A, A
Good news, he started eating pellets this afternoon, But hes still swimming a lot and trying to stick to the glass with his torn up pelvic fins,he slips off usually...is that another sign of it being uncomfortable?has it settled in yet?

Dragon cqzzzzz<

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Illinois
Good to hear it's eating pellets.
Did you test the water? If nothing else, try doing large water changes or carefully moving it to an already established freshwater tank. It's more important that the tank is cycled than it is for it to be brackish. After the move, you could start over with its own tank, cycling it in freshwater and then after bringing the fish back into that tank, gradually raise the salinity level of the water over several weeks. That would allow the bacteria to adjust to the new osmotic pressure without being killed.

Pufferpunk

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2007
Chicago
www.**************.com
Add Melafix for his fins. What's the SG, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate & pH?

Mudslinger14

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2010
Usa
No offense, but dragon gobies are probably the ugliest fish i've ever seen. o.o

Jaymesy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2019
Daytona Beach fl
Goby caught in fl need I'd 0ne on left
Some kind of sleeper kinda like my spiny cheek also caught in fl got 7 of them if anyone want a few free gobys??

IMG_20190821_000420.jpg

IMG_20190821_000229.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store