Dragon Goby ID...

harvs95

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2008
A, A
hey guys, need an id on this guy right here...hes kinda beat up, missing a fin,he also has this forked barbel like thing hanging off his lower jaw...info on how to keep him would be great...

head close up

body pattern, def not iridescent violet

full body shot
all i know about this guy is:
he needs brackish water
he presumably eats algae off rocks
hes nocturnal...and thats about it

dont hesitate to school me about this fish :D

manlyfish

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2010
michigan
ok that is a dragon goby they do have a sucker type fin to stay stuck onto the gravel and glass and what not i don't know about them being nocturnal and have never heard of them eating algae your still going to need feed him your right he does need brackish and thats about all i know sorry

Industrial

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2010
Buffalo, NY
I am very interested to know what you shot that picture with :ROFL:

Anyways, it looks different that most dragon gobys but it is hard to tell exactly from those pictures.

They like low end brackish water. Also frozen bloodworms, frozen/live brine shrimp and crushed up algae wafers are what mine likes to eat. Just make sure you put the food infront of him. Sand and barebottom make a better substrate than gravel because these gobys are filter feeders and inhale their food. Make sure you put a lot in, and remove what isn't eaten.

Pufferpunk

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2007
Chicago
www.**************.com
BB is not good for these fish, as they scoop up substrate to filter out the tiny particles of food in there.

harvs95

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2008
A, A
sorry, iphone pics haha

thanks for the info

Dragon cqzzzzz<

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Illinois
It's a species of Taenioides, Probably T. cirratus. Care is pretty much identical to the common violet goby, except this species is only known to grow to about 30 cm long, so it wouldn't need quite as much space as the normal species, which grows about twice as long.

harvs95

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2008
A, A
holy crud, youre absolutely right! it looks exactly like Taenioides cirratus...nice, and btw follow up question...do they really eat algae? and hes swimming into a corner of the tank often...dunno whats up with him

Hoyo12

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 23, 2009
WI
fishsanctuary.webs.com
harvs95;4272077; said:
holy crud, youre absolutely right! it looks exactly like Taenioides cirratus...nice, and btw follow up question...do they really eat algae? and hes swimming into a corner of the tank often...dunno whats up with him
Nice pickup! I've only seen one of these before.
Thought I'd post the video, hope you don't mind. :)
[YT]BSXi3URmSOQ[/YT]

harvs95

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2008
A, A
Thanks for the vid,man...any tips on how to get him onto sinkers would be great...hes almost 2 inches now..i cant get bloodworms anywhere here in this place...so id prefer to feed him pellets...Or algae...not algae wafers..unless theres a way to make home made algae wafers..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store