Overstocked?

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Yeah I had a feeling that would be your thoughts on it, oh well. Remember it for the future though, it could come in handy.

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
Well, you can overdose. The first symptoms will be fish gasping for air because Prime has reduced the oxygen in the water. But it takes more than 5x dosage for entire tank volume for water temperatures less than 86F. If over that temperature (86f), you should only use 1/2 dose of Prime for the entire tank volume.
Question.

So if one cap prime treats 50g of water and hypothetically I had a 50g tank that is at 86f.

I’m changing 80% water in the 50g and getting ready to re-fill the tank are you saying I should only use half a cap of prime to treat the tank bc my water temp is 86f? (Half a cap of prime only treats 25g) normally I would use 1 cap to treat the entire tank, regardless of temperature.

Or are you trying to say that in order to overdose a tank on prime it would only be 2x’s the amount of prime because the tank is 86f?

This is just all hypothetical as I’m just trying to understand what you are trying to say.

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
Agree with all that's been said about the nitrates being your best info on overstocking. Hopefully you finding a better solution with python/pump will increase your WC ease. That will be key for you going forward since the fish are all juvies yet.

I would get those nitrates down low before adding your ropes. They're WC fish so it'll help them establish better with clean water.

I've always dosed prime right before my python starts refilling the tank and there have been no issues. I dose for the amount of water I'm replacing, which is typically 50-75% of the tank.

Also, how often do you feed?

Yaponchik

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2019
SEA
I change 70% water every 3 days and the best I've managed was to keep my nitrates hovering at the 40-60ppm mark. Sump has 20L of matrix in there for almost a year and I've yet to see any changes in nitrate reduction. I can get away with a single 50% WC a week with nitrates at 40ppm if and only if I feed once a week. I don't have any dead / decaying plant matter, and no food to boot. I quit trying to overanalyze and am still torn between building a denitrator that you dose with vodka or something else. You're not alone :headbang2 :headbang2 :headbang2

Sarahmander

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2018
San Diego
http://instagr.am/p/B1zRvNagI32/ Just did a big ass water change (75%). I also got a Seachem Algae Pad (seriously the best thing if you don't want scratches) and scrubbed my acrylic. Took me 3 hours, but my fish seem super stoked. I think I'm going to donate all my little random fish and just keep the polys and my African butterfly. I am also going to get a python and a pump with my next paycheck for future water changes.

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Question.

So if one cap prime treats 50g of water and hypothetically I had a 50g tank that is at 86f.

I’m changing 80% water in the 50g and getting ready to re-fill the tank are you saying I should only use half a cap of prime to treat the tank bc my water temp is 86f? (Half a cap of prime only treats 25g) normally I would use 1 cap to treat the entire tank, regardless of temperature.

Or are you trying to say that in order to overdose a tank on prime it would only be 2x’s the amount of prime because the tank is 86f?

This is just all hypothetical as I’m just trying to understand what you are trying to say.
that's the directions stated for Prime, half the dosage for over 86f. The higher the temperature, the less oxygen htere is in the water.

Reactions: Sarahmander

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
I change 70% water every 3 days and the best I've managed was to keep my nitrates hovering at the 40-60ppm mark. Sump has 20L of matrix in there for almost a year and I've yet to see any changes in nitrate reduction. I can get away with a single 50% WC a week with nitrates at 40ppm if and only if I feed once a week. I don't have any dead / decaying plant matter, and no food to boot. I quit trying to overanalyze and am still torn between building a denitrator that you dose with vodka or something else. You're not alone :headbang2 :headbang2 :headbang2
what's the nitrates coming out of your tap?

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
that's the directions stated for Prime, half the dosage for over 86f. The higher the temperature, the less oxygen htere is in the water.
Awe I’ve never actually fully read the entire bottle....oops

I also just dose for the entire tank column and a little extra, one of my tanks is actually 86F

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store