75 gallon blackwater tank feels like it's missing something

SandNukka15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2010
Towanda PA
I think I'm going to get 10 otos this week. I would also like to add 3 apisto cockatos as well. Anyone know if they would be fine with my current stock and 4 bolivian rams?.

Also I'm considering taking some of the large mexican pebbles and some java fern out and adding some other plants in?... something easy that would look good in this set up. Any ideas?

bobblehead27

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 15, 2010
Tampa Area
I think I'm going to get 10 otos this week. I would also like to add 3 apisto cockatos as well. Anyone know if they would be fine with my current stock and 4 bolivian rams?.

Also I'm considering taking some of the large mexican pebbles and some java fern out and adding some other plants in?... something easy that would look good in this set up. Any ideas?
Does that mean you're increasing your Rams from 5 to 9 or did you lose one?
I think if it's the latter, you should be fine with the apistos as long as there are enough places for them to claim as territories. I would also either do 3 males or one male and two females. Are your Rams mixed genders? Could be interesting if you have multiple breeding groups in there.

SandNukka15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2010
Towanda PA
Does that mean you're increasing your Rams from 5 to 9 or did you lose one?
I think if it's the latter, you should be fine with the apistos as long as there are enough places for them to claim as territories. I would also either do 3 males or one male and two females. Are your Rams mixed genders? Could be interesting if you have multiple breeding groups in there.
I lost a ram a couple months ago so down to 4.... no rams would stay at 4 and I'd go with 3 cockatos. Problem is ordering online cant choose the sex of the fish. Should I go with more?
How many of each would you do?

I'd like to get more bolivians too but I'm worried about overstocking this tank.

bobblehead27

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 15, 2010
Tampa Area
I lost a ram a couple months ago so down to 4.... no rams would stay at 4 and I'd go with 3 cockatos. Problem is ordering online cant choose the sex of the fish. Should I go with more?
How many of each would you do?

I'd like to get more bolivians too but I'm worried about overstocking this tank.
Damn idk where in PA Towanda, is but if it is anywhere near Philly there was this place hidden reef just north of Philly, and they had apistos and dwarf pikes pretty regularly when I was stationed there.

I wouldn't go more than one harem in there because assuming your Rams start breeding, things could get tight with all them trying to find breeding grounds. I'd definitely say all makes or one male to multiple females, I'd say 2-3 females is a good sized harem. Idk what would happen past that. You should shop around or message sellers, maybe check aquabid. You should be able to find them sexed already.

SandNukka15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2010
Towanda PA
Unfortunately I'm not near philly and prefer not to spend shipping on aquabid for only 3 fish. I have a local fish store ordering them in for me

SandNukka15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2010
Towanda PA
Maybe I could add some more rams instead make the group to 8. I know breeding would be an issue but with 8 maybe the aggression will spread out

SandNukka15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2010
Towanda PA
Decided to go against more rams or apistos dont want to cause more aggression since the 4 rams I have now are living in peace but did order 10 Otos and 12 black neons. Missed having them and wanted another school of tetras. This is going to be the stock now

20 neon tetras
9 rummy nose tetras
12 black neon tetras
10 otos
9 Peppered cories
4 Bolivian rams
5 zebra angels
2 nerite snails
1 bristlenose pleco
1 blue phantom pleco

Opinions on stock?

The 5 Angel's will be broken up once they are older and pairs form.

Reactions: bobblehead27

bobblehead27

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 15, 2010
Tampa Area
Decided to go against more rams or apistos dont want to cause more aggression since the 4 rams I have now are living in peace but did order 10 Otos and 12 black neons. Missed having them and wanted another school of tetras. This is going to be the stock now

20 neon tetras
9 rummy nose tetras
12 black neon tetras
10 otos
9 Peppered cories
4 Bolivian rams
5 zebra angels
2 nerite snails
1 bristlenose pleco
1 blue phantom pleco

Opinions on stock?

The 5 Angel's will be broken up once they are older and pairs form.
I think you made the right choice. It'll be a much more peaceful and happy tank.

Reactions: SandNukka15
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store