Looking to do a rock scape need advice.

Zcddrew

Candiru
MFK Member
May 26, 2013
Canada
I've collected a good pile of pretty decent size rocks over the past couple weeks and I'm looking to make a rock scape with them. A few questions...
1) do I need to put egg crates or something else on the bottom of the tank?
2) is it advisable to glue the rocks together so they don't move?
3) any thing special need to be done to the rocks to make them aquarium safe?

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
It is advisable to use eggcrate under heavy rock. Glass tanks can take a surprisingly high load of rocks but eggcrate is a good safeguard for eliminating pressure points caused by uneven rocks.
Depending how much rock and how high you intend stacking them would influence my decision for glueing them. It would also depend on what fish.
If you building something high for cichlids that like to dig, I would silicon them together.
Rocks need no special treatment before use, just wash them.

Zcddrew

Candiru
MFK Member
May 26, 2013
Canada
It is advisable to use eggcrate under heavy rock. Glass tanks can take a surprisingly high load of rocks but eggcrate is a good safeguard for eliminating pressure points caused by uneven rocks.
Depending how much rock and how high you intend stacking them would influence my decision for glueing them. It would also depend on what fish.
If you building something high for cichlids that like to dig, I would silicon them together.
Rocks need no special treatment before use, just wash them.
Thanks very much for the clear and concise answers.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store