Cannister filter on stock tank pond

jyabs7

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2019
What's the best way to connect my suction line from a fluval fx6 to the drain on a galvanized stock tank? I don't want to mess with drilling new holes and such, and figured going through the drain plug would be my best option. If I remember right the fluval lines are 1"

jyabs7

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2019
Stock tank on stand canister on the floor or a lower stand
Guess I worded that kind of funny, my question would be fitting wise. I see a lot of info on the rubbermaid tanks, but not so much galvanized. Should I still be okay with a PVC fitting in place of the drain plug? Maybe some sort of valve and clamp the fluval hose to it?

jyabs7

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2019
sounds like the only option.
There's always the option of cutting another hole, but i don't feel like it. I'll bring the drain with me to the store tomorrow and spend some time fiddling and update the thread with what i find in case someone else runs across the same question.

Reactions: BichirKing

Terraphyte Tank Guy

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2018
What's the best way to connect my suction line from a fluval fx6 to the drain on a galvanized stock tank? I don't want to mess with drilling new holes and such, and figured going through the drain plug would be my best option. If I remember right the fluval lines are 1"
Hello j...

I have an outdoor galvanized water tank too. Mine's 300 gallons. I'm curious why you're filtering the tank. Isn't that a lot of work? How do you service it in the winter time? Sorry for the questions. But, I just have a 300 watt heater and air pump running year round and remove and replace half the water once a month. I have a lot of fish and good sized ones. Isn't the filter expensive? Is the filter better than the large, regular water changes?

TTG

jyabs7

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2019
Hello j...

I have an outdoor galvanized water tank too. Mine's 300 gallons. I'm curious why you're filtering the tank. Isn't that a lot of work? How do you service it in the winter time? Sorry for the questions. But, I just have a 300 watt heater and air pump running year round and remove and replace half the water once a month. I have a lot of fish and good sized ones. Isn't the filter expensive? Is the filter better than the large, regular water changes?

TTG

I'm using mine as an indoor pond for an american alligator. They create a lot of waste in the water that I like to filter out. Depending what you keep in the tank, it doesnt remove the need to do regular water changes but it gets the junk out.

jyabs7

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2019
ended up taking the whole thing off, it was just a regular 1" hole drilled in the tank. got some PVC fittings (a valve, a connector with a nipple, and a threaded coupler. should work perfect for what i want to do. i'll silicone the thing in and call it good.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store