Help I.D. This Stingray

cresnyk

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2011
CLAYTON, NC
Cool looking ray. Castexi pups have a similar pattern as P14 when they are born. IMO, there is definitely pearl in the mix as someone else said. I would not guess P. rex based on the base color, that is, rex is brown base and this appears black base. If its a female, it looks like shes carrying. Seeing the pups develop could give more hints.

Stingray Exotics Canada

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2019
She was from Thailand, but wc I’m not sure of the exact locality. And nice of you to notice she was carrying in this picture. Here’s a picture of one of her pups
B6BD3BA6-4C16-41CE-8C0F-33137F687A9F.jpeg

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
She was from Thailand, but wc I’m not sure of the exact locality. And nice of you to notice she was carrying in this picture. Here’s a picture of one of her pups
View attachment 1390944
An wc potamotrygon from thailand? You got to be kidding me.:ROFL:
If she comes from thailand shes probably from an breedingpond on an farm. Then she can be an real hybrid. Have you seen the rayponda over there where they produces hybrids? Its just an massive mix of species.

Stingray Exotics Canada

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2019
Cool looking ray. Castexi pups have a similar pattern as P14 when they are born. IMO, there is definitely pearl in the mix as someone else said. I would not guess P. rex based on the base color, that is, rex is brown base and this appears black base. If its a female, it looks like shes carrying. Seeing the pups develop could give more hints.
Bump....
This is the best answer so far, maybe Castexi (variant) with a bit of Pearl. Also (P. Rex can have a blackish brown base).

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
Bump....
This is the best answer so far, maybe Castexi (variant) with a bit of Pearl. Also (P. Rex can have a blackish brown base).
I think you got a little hung up on p. Rex. Dont know if its been in the hobby at all.

There is a thread somewhere here on the forum with castexi x pearl i actually think it was.but now i cant seem to find the thread at all.

Stingray Exotics Canada

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2019
I think you got a little hung up on p. Rex. Dont know if its been in the hobby at all.

There is a thread somewhere here on the forum with castexi x pearl i actually think it was.but now i cant seem to find the thread at all.
I’m not hung up on P. Rex, I was just informing him that P. Rex can have a blackish brown base. But just another FYI P. Rex and P. Limai “there ́s a possibility that it had already been exported in the past by the name of P. castexi, or P. scobina”
Maybe there’s a slight chance I got one of these mislabeled pups. Sorry, I’m just trying to rule out all possibilities.

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
I’m not hung up on P. Rex, I was just informing him that P. Rex can have a blackish brown base. But just another FYI P. Rex and P. Limai “there ́s a possibility that it had already been exported in the past by the name of P. castexi, or P. scobina”
Maybe there’s a slight chance I got one of these mislabeled pups. Sorry, I’m just trying to rule out all possibilities.
Well yeah there is a a very small chance that this might be so if this ray is wc from rio tocantins i brazil. But then again castexi or falkeri as its scientific name is nowadays isnt found in rio tocantins at all. And scobina is found only in the lower parts of tocantins.

If youve bought her as wc then you should know what species she is?

Reactions: cjfrontlovr

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
From the pictures of P. rex you posted, the tail has banding. I don't see this banding on the tail of your ray.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store