Cichlid IDs please.

Kashif314

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2019
Bought this guy few weeks back. He is very energetic and lively and never bother other fish. I want to know if its a scolofi cichlid or if its a cobalt zebra? Store employee told me its a dolphin which I know its not. So please advise:

Now developed nice blue color. Sorry for making video from a distance. When I try to video from close other fish come in frame think I am going to feed them.

Also one store guy sent me videos of his new stock and I noticed this fish. Its dark orange. In picture looks like red but its not red when I seen them personally. Its like dark orange. Very nice colors. Is it a red zebra cichlid or a dragon peacock?

IMG-20191009-WA0020~01.jpg

Please reply. Thanks.

Longmayitreign

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2019
Toronto
Bought this guy few weeks back. He is very energetic and lively and never bother other fish. I want to know if its a scolofi cichlid or if its a cobalt zebra? Store employee told me its a dolphin which I know its not. So please advise:

Now developed nice blue color. Sorry for making video from a distance. When I try to video from close other fish come in frame think I am going to feed them.

Also one store guy sent me videos of his new stock and I noticed this fish. Its dark orange. In picture looks like red but its not red when I seen them personally. Its like dark orange. Very nice colors. Is it a red zebra cichlid or a dragon peacock?

View attachment 1391328

Please reply. Thanks.
They are red dragon bloods, I have one.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada

Did you not learn anything from this past discussion?

No one on this forum or any other forum wear special DNA glasses, so when you are buying fish from a "Mixed African Cichlid" tank at your LFS, where hybrids are known to be circulated, a lot of the this will be hit & miss. Which is why I answered in the following manner, in your last ID thread.
Typically there is no way in knowing the genetics of any of the fish purchased from a mixed African tank. Could be this, could be that, could be a mix of this & that. That's the reality of buying from these kinds of vendors.
I have posted a link to the following site, to you, I believe 4-5 times already.

Use it to look up your fish, then make your best guesstimate, because that's all anyone here can do for you.

There is absolutely no way for anyone to confirm the species or purity of most of these LFS fish. Even the so called "Dragon Bloods", "Firefish" whatever, they are hybrid fish that range greatly in both appearance and aggression levels. The ones that you posted have a head & body that look more mbuna, than Aulonocara, so probably not going to be gentle and peaceful as a rule.

Good luck.

Kashif314

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2019
Did you not learn anything from this past discussion
Did you check the date of the video? The title says 29 September and even if a fish is a hybrid its better to ask as someone may help me. The yellow fish I have is a hybrid between a yellow lab and a red zebra. Found out from YouTube. About the blue cobalt zebra video its not a hybrid. It is eithsr scolofi or cobalt zebra and that's what I asked from forum members.

About the cichlid forum link you sent me I seen it many times. I even read other sites but sometimes its not easy to id a fish as some specimen looks very close and its better to confirm from members. There is no harm in asking. You don't own this forum Sir so you can't tell me to not ask something. If someone doesn't know about the fish he or she won't reply. Its simple as that. Its better to ask anyways.

If you check the forum there are very often posts like me where people have trouble id their fish. Their are so many thread so kindly educate them the same thing which you telling me. Thanks.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
What does the date of the video have to do with anything?

The yellow fish I have is a hybrid between a yellow lab and a red zebra. Found out from YouTube.
You don't know that, anymore than I know that it's not. That's the point that I have been attempting to make. I have seen hundreds of red zebra/yellow lab crosses, in person. Perhaps thousands at this point. It is a common cross that started approx. 15-20 yrs ago. I know that, because I was keeping African cichlids when that cross came in to the hobby.

Your current threads are precisely why I started the following thread here approx 5 yrs ago.

Exactly what I have been saying to you, repeatedly, as well as others over the years. This has nothing to do with you personally, you weren't even a member when I posted the thread above - so quit acting like a victim, and maybe just say thank you RD for attempting to once again help me.

You don't own this forum Sir so you can't tell me to not ask something. If someone doesn't know about the fish he or she won't reply. Its simple as that. Its better to ask anyways.
And neither do you, so don't expect me to ignore what I see as senseless questions that lead to nothing better than guesses. You aren't the only person reading these discussions, so I prefer to have accurate information included in them, not just wild guesses at what everyone's fish may or may not be. If you just want a bunch of pretty colored fish in your tank I am fine with that, as will most people, but considering where they are coming from, a store that seemingly knows next to nothing about the fish that they are selling, attempting to ID them after the fact is a pretty much an exercise in futility.

I can't help it if that's not what you want to hear. That's the reality. Buy from a trusted source, or fish with a provenance back to the wild, or roll the African cichlid hybrid dice and see what you end up with.

Reactions: Kashif314

Kashif314

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2019
What does the date of the video have to do with anything?

You don't know that, anymore than I know that it's not. That's the point that I have been attempting to make. I have seen hundreds of red zebra/yellow lab crosses, in person. Perhaps thousands at this point. It is a common cross that started approx. 15-20 yrs ago. I know that, because I was keeping African cichlids when that cross came in to the hobby.

Your current threads are precisely why I started the following thread here approx 5 yrs ago.

Exactly what I have been saying to you, repeatedly, as well as others over the years. This has nothing to do with you personally, you weren't even a member when I posted the thread above - so quit acting like a victim, and maybe just say thank you RD for attempting to once again help me.

And neither do you, so don't expect me to ignore what I see as senseless questions that lead to nothing better than guesses. You aren't the only person reading these discussions, so I prefer to have accurate information included in them, not just wild guesses at what everyone's fish may or may not be. If you just want a bunch of pretty colored fish in your tank I am fine with that, as will most people, but considering where they are coming from, a store that seemingly knows next to nothing about the fish that they are selling, attempting to ID them after the fact is a pretty much an exercise in futility.

I can't help it if that's not what you want to hear. That's the reality. Buy from a trusted source, or fish with a provenance back to the wild, or roll the African cichlid hybrid dice and see what you end up with.
Sir, you saying the same thing again and again and I am saying the same thing repeatedly that I can't pass on hybrids or fish I never seen before. I always have the opportunity to return or re home them. There is no harm in asking. Its very likely someone owns the same kind of hybrids or someone may have knowledge and even if they are wild guesses they are still gonna be helpful. Based on those guesses I can do further research and may reach to some conclusion.

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
Just and observation. If you just want to k ow what the fishes make up is, I get that.
But unless you plan on breeding a certain fish.
What does it really matter what the fish is?
If it’s to sell or pass the offspring on, you will be hard pressed to know with any certainty even with an ID given at most it’s going to be a best guess.
If you want just a tank of colorful fish it doesn’t really matter, if it’s a spawn you are looking for I would buy from another source.
Somewhere you can count on the identification of the species.
Now I will step out and let you and RD hash out what else is going on.

Reactions: deeda

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I never said that you have to pass - buy them by the boat load if you choose to do so. LOL

My point was, again, that short of a proper DNA analysis nobody is going to provide you with anything more than a guess. Taking wild guesses at fish species isn't helpful to anyone.

From my hybrid ID thread

If the fish work, and you are happy, that's all that matters. Who cares what anyone else thinks? But getting an accurate ID on most African cichlids with this kind of background is next to impossible.
As Big G just stated, unless you are breeding it doesn't matter a whole lot what their origin is. Just enjoy them.

Sevastopol

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 23, 2019
KG-348
I second Longmayitreign's reply. They look like Dragon Bloods to me. I used to have one; he was a mean ass fish...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store