Esox species

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
K krichardson had a musky for a while iirc. But like others said, ambush preds dont move, get huge and only eat what darts around.
Yep,that has been my experience with the two that I have had.

jjohnwm

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
I'm a bit surprised in reading this thread that nobody seems to mention the fact that these are game fish, regulated and protected as such virtually everywhere. Catching them during open season is legal; throwing them into a fish tank and expecting to keep them is probably not, at least not without game department approval.

Having said that...many years ago a more innocent version of me kept a smallish Pike for several years in a tank in my parents' basement. The fish was not particularly active, but very easy to keep and feed. It would not eat commercially prepared foods, but was a greedy eater of frozen smelt, fish fillets, frogs, etc. Dead fish are a common bait used for catching pike while ice fishing; they have no difficulty recognizing dead fish as food.

I've also had experience with Grass Pickerel, which are essentially miniature Pike, usually remaining less than a foot or so in length; terrific aquarium specimens.

Finally...it's a bit funny to hear all this talk about their unsuitability as aquarium fish because of how big they are, how vast their appetites, how generally inactive they tend to be...all this from people who are keeping Arowanas, Arapaimas, Wolf Fish, Redtail Cats, Dovii cichlids, Goliath Tiger Fish, etc.etc.etc.

Hello, Kettle? Pot here...you're black! :)

AaronKWolfe

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2019
I'm a bit surprised in reading this thread that nobody seems to mention the fact that these are game fish, regulated and protected as such virtually everywhere. Catching them during open season is legal; throwing them into a fish tank and expecting to keep them is probably not, at least not without game department approval.

Having said that...many years ago a more innocent version of me kept a smallish Pike for several years in a tank in my parents' basement. The fish was not particularly active, but very easy to keep and feed. It would not eat commercially prepared foods, but was a greedy eater of frozen smelt, fish fillets, frogs, etc. Dead fish are a common bait used for catching pike while ice fishing; they have no difficulty recognizing dead fish as food.

I've also had experience with Grass Pickerel, which are essentially miniature Pike, usually remaining less than a foot or so in length; terrific aquarium specimens.

Finally...it's a bit funny to hear all this talk about their unsuitability as aquarium fish because of how big they are, how vast their appetites, how generally inactive they tend to be...all this from people who are keeping Arowanas, Arapaimas, Wolf Fish, Redtail Cats, Dovii cichlids, Goliath Tiger Fish, etc.etc.etc.

Hello, Kettle? Pot here...you're black! :)
As long as it's of size and caught legally, they dont care (or atleast in my state). If it's that big of a deal then you can buy it from a hatchery

jjohnwm

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
As long as it's of size and caught legally, they dont care (or atleast in my state). If it's that big of a deal then you can buy it from a hatchery
So, if you catch a pike in season, take it home...and still have it in your possession when the season closes...that's legal? In many or most places, you become a poacher on that day.

I never thought of the hatchery idea. Do hatcheries sell individual fish, or even very small quantities?

Not being argumentative, just curious.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store