Blood parrots missing dorsal fin?

THOSranger

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2019
Houston, TX
So I have 2 BPS who seems to be missing their dorsal fin and I've seen quite a few videos where the BPS do have their dorsal fins. The store I got them from only had the kind without their dorsal fin. Is this a defect or were they chopped off? If you need a pic ill post one once I'm home.

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
So I have 2 BPS who seems to be missing their dorsal fin and I've seen quite a few videos where the BPS do have their dorsal fins. The store I got them from only had the kind without their dorsal fin. Is this a defect or were they chopped off? If you need a pic ill post one once I'm home.

The Blood Parrot's I've seen had a dorsal fin. It is possibly a deformity. Will get a better analysis later when you post a pic.

ECW

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2011
Oahu, Hi.
They do this on purpose. They cut the tail off when they are young to get that heart shape and then call them sweetheart parrots. Do not support these practices please!!!

THOSranger

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2019
Houston, TX
Sorry what I meant was the caudal fin. I always get the dorsal and caudal fins confused. They do however have their pectoral fins, however because of the quality you can't see them.

Reactions: tlindsey

THOSranger

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2019
Houston, TX
They do this on purpose. They cut the tail off when they are young to get that heart shape and then call them sweetheart parrots. Do not support these practices please!!!
Oh wow thanks for the info wish I had known before I bought them. ?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store